fuel heater help

tractorman86

Reaction score
Ok so normally I would do a search and answer my own question but my phone is the only way I can get on here right now and my phone wont let me type in the search box... so when the fuel heater on top of the fuel filter starts leaking how do you seal it back up or is it better to just replace it, how many olhms resistance should it have? I am not sure if it is even working.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
There's a couple of o-rings in there that need to be replaced. Take it apart and then take the o-rings to get the proper sizes. I had a kit I use and they were in it, so they aren't oddball sizes.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I think there's a write up with pics here somewhere. It's not too bad though, pretty straight forward once you start taking it apart.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
one o-ring, part number is in the parts bin thread (i think). cost me like $3 from international, i ordered a 6 pack...spares are good :-D

once the filter head is off the truck, remove the brass fitting the filter screws onto. Then carefully and lightly tap the black plug on the top of the filter head. that should release and u take the plate out. the o-ring is at the bottom of the black plug. i have pictures, lemme dig em out.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

i got like 5 of these filter heads from the junkyard to play with...i thought id end up destroying a few before i got it apart right but it was really a piece of cake. oh and the plug gets VERY brittle when exposed to diesel fuel...so i took a few "extra" plugs for spares :-D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Actually, there's another o-ring inside the black part. Carefully twist the electrical tab in the center of the plug to release those two pieces and you'll find it. If fuel is coming out of the center then that's the bad one. Probably good to change them both.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If you have a spare one, take it all the way apart and take a couple more shots to show the rest of the pieces and the other oring.
;Sweet

Reaction score
Actually, there's another o-ring inside the black part

Gen,
Dangit, I just replaced mine about 4 weeks ago is there somthing I missed? The only O-ring I replaced was the one that Opti. is pointing at. 4th pic down

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Yes, if you have it apart like in the pics, look at the electrical post. There's a small tab that holds it in place and if you bend it inwards and carefully push it down into the black piece, the heater will release from the black part and there's your second o-ring. I should have taken pics when I took mine apart.....

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than getting it to stop leaking, the fuel heater is too small and poorly placed to do any good heating the fuel. The earlier one on the 6.9 fuel line was better at helping with gelled fuel.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i destroyed the one in the pics in seach of said second o-ring, to no avail. i took the black part off the metal ring and broke it apart and i broke the male plug end off inside the top part...where is that lil ******? haha

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The international part number for the o-ring pointed to in the pics is 1811053C1 and costs about $2.50 each... Buy a spare... They wont break the bank... I don't have the part number for the small internal o-ring...:dunno