It works! BRUHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAA

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moose Truck is officially intercooled! I'll have to adjust my sig. Just came back from the first test run. I have two test hills that I used as a benchmark, and here are my results. All tests were made in 4th gear at 55MPH. First number is boost PSI, second number is EGT's.

Hill 1 - Old 4 PSI @ 900
Hill 1 - New 2 @ 800

Hill 2 - Old 3 @ 675
Hill 2 - New 0 @ 600

Hill 1 is steeper, but hill 2 is longer. Most importantly, I found myself having to back out of the throttle to keep at 55! I'm extremely satisfied with my cheap ebay CRX intercooler, and my 30 or so hours I put into it. ;Sweet

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice reduction in EGT's, I would think you have more than made up for the small loss of boost with the significantly cooler charge air.

I guess also that it is not loading the engine as much and therefore does not require as much throttle, therefore makes less boost while still producing the same power.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
i have a semi small rx7 IC that i guess i could use.. how big is the one you are using?

I kinda had the same idea, but using an IC from a Toyota Supra. Way too small for the amount of air flow we'd need with these engines.

Mel... You used a CRX IC? :dunno When you say CRX, are you referring to a Honda CRX, or is CRX the brand name?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ebay seller is CRX Racing I think. They offer a lot of intercooler kits for rice burners. The one I used is one they sell for a Mustang. I think it is 3" thick, by 22" by 10" or something like that. I got a PM from a concerned individual calling me on the carpet for using a Chinese part. I appreciated his doing that, as I don't want to be a hypocrit. As for why, the market is very limited for side inlet/outlet coolers, and my physical dimension requirements were very stringent. It seemed I had no other option, and I lack the fabrication skills and tools to do that kind of alluminum work myself. I actually don't know where the stuff came from, and none of it says made in china on it, but I can't imagine it is coming from anywhere else given the price. I used a $60 cooler. Hypermax' cooler has another zero behind that. If it makes anybody feel better (and it does me), I spent $400 on a new intake hat and 2 pipes from Hypermax, so it's not like I did this on the cheap. I'll get more pics today, but here is what I have so far.
You must be registered for see images

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thats pretty sweet. I was thinking of cutting a 4" hole in my firewall and hooking my intake tube to one of my A/C registers since I can't afford an intercooler. j/k lol.:D

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats Mel, nice work. Your post has got me thinking though.
My truck has a non-wastegated PSD turbo fabbed in, and the intercooler went on at the same time. I get 5-8 lbs of boost with this set up. I wonder, would I get more boost without the intercooler? EGTs are already high though pulling something up hill.
I have a parts truck with a blown E4OD, but a wastegated banks sidewinder and nice exhaust. After I towed it home, I got about a half mile out of it before the tranny completely let go. I saw 10-12 lbs of boost easily(albeit breifly). I plan to swap the banks onto my truck (I've just never been happy with the PSD setup). If I intercool it, will I lose boost ?
Hmmmm........

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
you will lose boost through any intercooler almost but it lowers the temp of the charge air and colder air is more oxygen rich, leading to a better burn despite the lost boost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin