truck won't start after ac12g plug install

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I JUST WANTED TO TRY THEM OUT. The truck had 2 autoshits and 8 champions in it. The 2 autoshits was burned out and swollen and 1 champion burned out and not swollen. No telling how long they have been in there. I put the AC12Gs in there to try them out. I have nothing to lose doing that. It might be a cheaper route out than buying the BERUs. I had to wire the controller up, but still, if they work it would be better than spending at money YOU don't have to. I got them for 9.84 each SO WHAT!

well it sounds like there doing there job, so you made no mistake. its just the controller is a bit wacked

spyder1100

Reaction score
I got a couple of different ones to test. An AC60G, the Wellmans, and Autolite 1110. I hooked the up to my charger/booster to test them all. The Wellmans took a dump after 20 seconds. No suprise there. The 60G and the Autolite were still glowing. Let'em run for 15 minutes non-stop. Really. Still glowing. Thought I'd see exactly what they could take, so I bumped the voltage to 18v. 60G died as soon as the switch clicked. Autolite still was glowing. So I bumped it up to 24v. Autolite ran another 5 minutes at 24v. No signs of swelling. After som research I found the Wellmans are 6v 45 watts, which is why they heat up so fast but burn out just as fast. The 60G is rates at 10 volts 200 watts. The Autolite 1110 is 12 volts 90 watts. The 60g and the 1110 are both self regulating. They are both replacements for the 6.2 and 6.5 Chevy diesel. Also, if you get the military version of the 1110 it has the bullet connector instead of the blade connector. After the abuse I put the Autolites through, and they still didn't have any damage to them, thats what I decided to use. Of course I have a manual push button instead of the controller.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I got a couple of different ones to test. An AC60G, the Wellmans, and Autolite 1110. I hooked the up to my charger/booster to test them all. The Wellmans took a dump after 20 seconds. No suprise there. The 60G and the Autolite were still glowing. Let'em run for 15 minutes non-stop. Really. Still glowing. Thought I'd see exactly what they could take, so I bumped the voltage to 18v. 60G died as soon as the switch clicked. Autolite still was glowing. So I bumped it up to 24v. Autolite ran another 5 minutes at 24v. No signs of swelling. After som research I found the Wellmans are 6v 45 watts, which is why they heat up so fast but burn out just as fast. The 60G is rates at 10 volts 200 watts. The Autolite 1110 is 12 volts 90 watts. The 60g and the 1110 are both self regulating. They are both replacements for the 6.2 and 6.5 Chevy diesel. Also, if you get the military version of the 1110 it has the bullet connector instead of the blade connector. After the abuse I put the Autolites through, and they still didn't have any damage to them, thats what I decided to use. Of course I have a manual push button instead of the controller.

wow awesome reaserch

are the military types 24V or is that just the starting system on thos trucks?

spyder1100

Reaction score
I've heard conflicting stories is they are 12v or 24v. The plugs themselves are 12v. They just have the bullet connector. You can get them from NAPA. Just look up a 1993 AM General Hummer, and get the military ones. They are AC 15G glow plugs. They're 12v 75 watts.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spyder, got any info on the AC 12 G plugs, as far as voltage and wattage go? Also, are the 6.2/6.5 plugs direct bolt-in for our 6.9/7.3 engines?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Awesome post!!

I did a similar test with the wellman 088 glow plugs, and mine was dead after 23 seconds. But it swelled up like an balloon!!!

I have heard about the autolite glow plugs before, but since the direct replacents for our trucks are known to be crappy for that brand, I never looked into it.

Did any of your glow plugs swell up or distort?

Pix?:D

spyder1100

Reaction score
I believe the 12G is 24v 70 watts. The only ones that swelled were the Wellmans. The AC's just burned out. The Autolites to my surprise took a beating and kept glowing. They didn't swell or distort at all. I tried everything I had to replicate what would happen inside my engine. Sprayed oil, diesel, ether, and water on them while they were hot. Nothing bad happened. I tested all the ones I put in my truck the same way before I put them in. I figure I put them through more than what they should hopefully see in my engine. The charger I have is for heavy equipment and can go up to 24 volts and 700 amps. The Autolites didn't blow at that setting for 5 minutes. I was amazed. On the initial test with all three, I didn't let them cool before I turned the power up either. Just kept cranking the juice to them to see what they would do. After that, it was just for fun. The GM 6.2 and 6.5 Diesel plugs will work in the IDI. They are about 1/8th of an inch shorter in length. Same threads and diameter tho. They have the blade connector. The 93 military Hummer has the bullets.

Last edited:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Then why do so many of the AC's swell in our rigs?

AC delco has been making GPs for a long time and have lots of different types and uses for different engines and some have been updated and improved. The 60G is the updated plug for the 6.5 where the previous GPs were not as sophisticated.

spyder1100

Reaction score
Exactly, and the glow plugs for our trucks are rated at 6 volts. That causes them to heat very quickly, but distort, swell, and explode if turned on for too long. The GM 6.2 and 6.5 plugs are rated between 10.5 and 12 volts. Depending on which one is used. Lower the voltage, the faster they heat, but the quicker they burn out and swell.

mark7.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put 8 new autolight plugs in my 88 idi and i cycled them once and there gone allready. what shold i do?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Will the 60G's work with the stock controllers?

I have employees driving My trucks. I can't trust most to use a button properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online