1st drive--moose pump

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
If you want to skip the play by play:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE That's some good stuff boys.

Seriously, with an out of time truck, I picked up 7 psi of boost. Max egts were just a tad over 450. I still have room to play. I can not launch with any boost that is measurable on the gauges or I go up in smoke. As soon as I can get an accurate timing set on the truck, I'll post back results before and after using the acclerometer.

For your viewing pleasure: http://youtube.com/watch?v=g-0K5cChk3Y

That's the cummins truck. We went to 65--he got me by 3/4 truck length.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome. You gained 7 psi of boost? How much do you have now?

Congratulations on finally getting the pump in I know you've been waiting a while and dealing with other issues.

EGT is only 450? Crazy low. How much room to up the fuel and boost are you thinking you have? Let us know about all the new goodness as it sets in.;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Nice ;Sweet . Makes me want a moose pump when I install my turbo. What was the max boost you saw, you said you picked up 7psi with it not timed right, maybe another 1-2 psi once its timed right. Next summer Justin....Next summer.... :D

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you say 450°F? At what boost?
Without the intercooler, mine is 9 psi at 950-1050°F when the air temperature is 90-100°F. That is with a straight muffler and 3.5" exhaust and the IP set to the Banks recommendations.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep saying...the Mel's pump and the DPS pump will actually LOWER your EGTs if you have a turbo and/or intercooler(enough air to burn it) even though you have more fuel. Its because the timing curve is retarded as you increase throttle to keep EGTs under control. I'm surprised no one among you guys had a timing meter to put it on the nose. But I'm glad you got it put in. Take care!

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Where's da smoke?:dunno

Look close there's a pretty good plume from both trucks.

So to update the update, I saw a max boost catching up to the guys on the way back to the campground of 18 psi at 80 mph when I let off. EGT just hit 650 pre turbo then dropped to 450 cruising at 70 mph.

If you're wondering what my purely amateur opinion on the pump is, it is buy one. Buy it now. Swamp Mel with orders so he can afford to start reverting the Moose truck back to showroom stock.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
just made it home, (friggin chicago traffic) and i'm going to bother mel for one tomorrow or the next day. and i'll second the motion to have mel put his truck back to showroom condition:D
chris

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's already got them...this motor was built by DPS for High performance. I guess we'll get to see how long a 6.9 with studs can last at that kind of boost. We know for sure he's not stressing it at all with EGTs, and the studs can hold that boost no problem. My concern is can the rest of the motor take 18-20psi if it still has 20.7:1 compression. I wonder what kind of power that thing would make on a dyno?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Look close there's a pretty good plume from both trucks.

So to update the update, I saw a max boost catching up to the guys on the way back to the campground of 18 psi at 80 mph when I let off. EGT just hit 650 pre turbo then dropped to 450 cruising at 70 mph.

If you're wondering what my purely amateur opinion on the pump is, it is buy one. Buy it now. Swamp Mel with orders so he can afford to start reverting the Moose truck back to showroom stock.

Yep can vouch for those numbers.
Got a test run with Barney in TDT after we got the "Moose Juicer" installed and :eek: WOW what a run it was.
I too vote for the Moose truck stock in '08!:D

Good to see ya made it back Chris. Door handles installed yet?:D ;Sweet

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then I definitely can not install a Moose pump, my gage only goes to 15 psi. Installing one of the those high performance pumps could damage my gage. LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dang 18psi :eek: ;Sweet . Do we know what kind of mods that 12valve had done to it, or what kind of hp/torque its putting down?