1st drive--moose pump

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So skool me. To spin a turbo takes heat. To build boost takes heat. Turn pump up, more boost. turn pump down, less boost. More fuel- less fuel. How can you put more fuel in and get less heat? Are you simply putting such tremendous amounts in that it cant burn it all (black smoke) and it is cooler at the expense of raw fuel out the tailpipe? If so is this really the answer? If not then whats going on? The talk of retarding the fuel delivery. So it has less time to burn? I really want to understand whats going on here. In short I want my cake and fuel mileage too...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe with a moose or DPS pump you aren't sacrificing fule economy If...and this is a big IF you drive it like you did a stock vehicle. As Mel likes to say, "turning up the fuel doesn't control the fuel delivery, your foot does that...it just opens the door wider for your foot to go through" You can't quite have your cake and eat it too, but I don't think you'll lose out on fuel mileage if you can manage to drive like a sane person, all the while knowing you have the extra ponies when you need them.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did not answer my question of how this works. Telling me to drive with a soft foot does not explain how at 18psi he is seeing 600 degrees pre turbo.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I really don't know how that works Dan, except that Barney's truck, with the twin turbos stuffs in enough air to burn a lot more fuel than a stock IDI or even our trucks with single non gated turbo. I do believe he probably has an intercooler too, but I can't remember for sure. Denser air...more air, cleaner burn, and more complete burn. We don't get into trouble with egts until we overfuel it...burn fuel with not enough 02. Thats why we can tell we need to be careful when we see a bunch of black smoke. My best stab at it...I probably sound like I know more than I really do... I can write well and summarize good info I have researched well, but I'm no engineer and still have much to learn...

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
So skool me. To spin a turbo takes heat. To build boost takes heat. Turn pump up, more boost. turn pump down, less boost. More fuel- less fuel. How can you put more fuel in and get less heat? Are you simply putting such tremendous amounts in that it cant burn it all (black smoke) and it is cooler at the expense of raw fuel out the tailpipe? If so is this really the answer? If not then whats going on? The talk of retarding the fuel delivery. So it has less time to burn? I really want to understand whats going on here. In short I want my cake and fuel mileage too...

Actually it's back pressure that spins the turbo. When the piston pushes the exhaust out that pulse is lost, a turbo uses that energy to spin itself and compress air on the intake side.

On my set up even at 18 psi the psd turbo that's mounted on the frame rail didn't get above 10 psi. I have a guage that monitors boost pressure between the turbos and 1 that monitors actual boost pressure going into the engine.

My cool egt's I think are because the psd turbo is good for 25 -30 psi by itself. I'm using it to make 10 which is 33% of capacity. So in effect it is not working very hard so it's not superheating the intake charge. The sidewinder turbo is good for 10 psi as it's designed. The only time I ever saw 10 psi pre twins, my egt's were 1000+.

The only explanation that makes sense for my low egts is that the way my set up works is by not over working either turbo and the sincee the sidewinder turbo is seeing 10 pounds going into it, it only has to compress the air by a small multiple rather than seeing atmospheric pressure and compressing it 10X or more.

I would imagine that if I could get enough fuel and manage to keep the motor together my psd/sidewinder set up would make 50+ psi. Not that I'm overly interested in doing that.

Oh, and I think on a conventional turbo'd truck the egt's would climb normally since your putting more fuel in than a stock pump which is what a banks, hypermax or ats system is designed to work with.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Dang 18psi . Do we know what kind of mods that 12valve had done to it, or what kind of hp/torque its putting down?

My Cummins Doner truck (two tone tan **** truck) is not stock anymore. It has has a most of the pump adjustments that you can make, I just installed bigger injectors, and a larger turbo wheel and housing. There are still a couple of things that I have but need to be installed including a Old Smpkey Fuel Pin, and a 3200 RPM Governor spring. Right now the fuel shuts off at about 2500. The fuel pin should give me about 30 more hp.

Back to the race, It was very close we were dead even for the start and right at the end of the video I started pulling ahead and won by not quite a truck length.

Don't feel bad about Barney loosing the race, there were other races over the weekend also.

First was Barney and Ron, I was riding in Goldie, Ron was shifting like it was an automatic! Barney got him by a truck length.

Then I got to race Ron with Big Ed. With the propane on, and one weak sylnder, Big Ed won that one. (helps to have an auto)

Then, Barny and I were able to race, this was pre Moose pump,..He beat Big Ed.

But it was all in good fun, oh yea and for testing purposes;Really ;Sweet :D

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansvan
So skool me. To spin a turbo takes heat. ...............................

Dansvan,

IT IS MAGIC! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY BUY ONE!:rotflmao :rotflmao

or just buy a 5/32" allen wrench and a mechanics mirror instead!:dunno

I dont see what can be done to a pump besides changing its range or amount of fuel it can pump. It all sounds like hype to me. Low EGT's are not everything when it comes to operating an engine beyond its original design specifications.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those are some pretty impressive numbers. I have to say though that I can't recommend trying to put 18 PSI to the ground with stock head gaskets. ;Really I also have to caution everyone... I don't think you will find your EGT numbers that low in a normal Banks, ATS, Hypermax (as opposed to Barnamax LOL ) turbo setup. Reality is, without an intercooler, you're going to be fighting for headroom on your EGT's all the time with a load on. At least there is now some testimony to the power of the pump other than my hearsay. LOL Good job guys! :thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....I dont see what can be done to a pump besides changing its range or amount of fuel it can pump. It all sounds like hype to me. Low EGT's are not everything when it comes to operating an engine beyond its original design specifications.

Just for the record, I have never said, nor advertised that my pump lowers your EGT's. Everything I have stated is to the contrary. Like the small print on those weight loss commercials says...."Results not typical. Your experience may vary." Yes, there are things that can be done to the timing, but in the end, it's still fuel + air + combustion = heat.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump (7.3 donor) on my 6.9 has the screw maxed out. I see 1200 degrees at about 13-14 psi maxed out pulling a long steep hill lightly loaded. I'm trying to find the right intercooler to mount up in my van. I would like to try the DPS 20% injectors and a Moose pump or DPS pump, but was curious about the claim (by some) that they lowered EGT's. Doesn't sound right. Anyway, keep posting results from the new pumps.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
is it possible that the low egts are due to too much timing advance and not enough fuel. I know that is how it happens in the electronic trucks, more timing = more hp,= less egt. but more timing also increases detonation and = boom

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
ok, so i promised pics of the twin setup, but in lieu of copyright infringment i need flatlanders permission to post them, i forgot to ask at the rally:rolleyes:
so can i post them, or do i have to pay royalties:D
;Sweet arm rests are going in today;Sweet
chris

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have been posted by others, so I don't see why you'd need permission. I'm sure Barney would be pleased to see them.