Darrin's running hot and burning oil in NE

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just got a call from Darrin and he's near Grand Island Nebraska and is currently sitting along the road letting the truck cool down as it is overheating.
The truck is also using a quart of oil every 100 miles.
Will get more truck info shortly as I'm expecting another call soon.

On return edit:

The truck is 92 ATS intercooled turbo.

It ran fine at around 8 this am when he started off, but the last 100 miles is when it began to overheat.

He also said that it was not wanting to fire back up after letting it sit turned off for a bit, once going is way underpowered.

His intentions are to try to get into the next town to get a rental car, come back and trailer it back.
His cell# is 616.318.0118 and is a Nextel so coverage is spotty where he's at.

The outside temps are 18-20 degrees farenheit.

Last edited:

IDIeselman

Reaction score
SOB, This isn't the black 4 door is it? Surely is a bad feeling being stranded so far from home Especially at those temps.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
IDIeselman said:
SOB, This isn't the black 4 door is it? Surely is a bad feeling being stranded so far from home Especially at those temps.

Yes that's the one Tim.
He currently has a wrecker coming to get into town as it was not gonna make it and of course doesn't really have the proper attire for working out in those temps either.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Update.
Darrin and Lori made it with a tow truck into Grand Island NE and could not find a rental car available but a bus was leaving shortly thereafter so they are now on a bus bound for Grand Rapids.
He will be getting a truck and trailer/tow dolly setup to go retrieve the truck once they get back.
From what it sounds, the motor is pretty much toast. -cuss

Darrin really didn't have much time and due to the cold, he didn't take much of a look into the problem but he's got a spare 7.3 back at his shop that he can drop in.
Needless to say, he WILL be talking to the seller as he's not the least bit happy with the deal. :backoff :backoff

IDIeselman

Reaction score
That sure is some hard luck, When Darrin said he didn't think the guy knew what he had I figured there must be something wrong, With all those add ons I say he knew exactly what it was. Travel by bus SUCKS.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rough deal. Very sorry to hear all that. The IP sounds like it was getting heat soaked. Not sure what the overheating was caused by. Bad themostat I would guess in those temps.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quart of oil every 100 miles, is it possible for a seal to go in the turbo and dump oil into the intake/cylinders? Where would all that oil be going?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Planes, Trains, and Automotibiles,..

WERE BACK!

Quite the trip, We just spent the last 22 hours doin the Greyhound/Indian Trails Bus Shuttle back to Grand Rapids

Thanks to Ron for doin the postin,....

The truck was using about 5 quarts every 100 miles, that is 5! So what I beleive happened was that it was consuming it, making the EGT's get too hot (no EGT Guage) and the motor burned itself up. The temp guage was fine, never showing that it overheated, but the engine light did come on. You win some and you loose some,..

We left it at a truck stop in Grand Island and I will be going back to get it probablly on Monday, gotta get through a potential snow storm this weekend and see what that does first.

That is a quick update, gotta go for now and give the seller a call to see what he will do for my troubles.

Ill keep youposted and let you know of more details of the trip and truck when I have more time.

Thanks,again!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
GRuss said:
Was that the 92 CC 4X6? Russ

Yup, the one I really like too.

I talked to Darrin an hour ago and could smell him from GR.LOL

Sorry dude, couldn't resist.:D

Talking with him he has one story to tell...... Kinda like Planes, Trains & Automobiles.
Sucks tho he still has to go back as he already tried to snag me for the run but have WAY too much going right now, but would love to make that run.......That and this freakin snow storm coming this way that he was running in front of.:puke:

Good to see ya had a safe trip back tho.;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Hold on to your boots. The snow storm coming your way hit us last night. Pretty good one. We got 4-6 inches of snow after it got cold enough to stick, but it snowed all day yesterday. Then down to 8 degress last night. Everything was ice covered with snow. Made driving rough. I stayed home from work last night. Pile ups all over the place.

Darrin sorry to hear the bad luck. Wish I were closer to lend you a hand. What did the PO say by-the-way?

Maybe if you had ventured down Albuquerque way, the troubles would have shown themselves in more friendly territory?:rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tom

Last edited:

SKimballC

Reaction score
No EGT gauge? ***?!?-cuss The listing mentions 3 aftermarket gauges, but only says that one's for boost and another's for tranny temp. Kind of unbelievable that someone would turbo a truck, install a boost gauge, then install an intercooler, and STILL not add a pyrometer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...then install an intercooler, and STILL not add a pyrometer.
I don't have a pyro in my truck either. I've also limited my boost to 5psi too. Pump is putting out very low soot also.
I also happen to loan out the truck frequently, so keeping it at the lowest setting is not a bad thing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I wonder if Darrin washed his face with Lori's underware. :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online