Stabbin Cabin build-log

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's definitely a *******' Wagon! A word of advice tho - If you do it up with carpet and spill Mountain Dew, clean it up right away or you'll have a jungle growing in there.

Otherwise, technically speaking, that's quite a ride you've got there. I love those dually vans.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should make part of that wheel well repair a clear polycarbonate window, to remind observant passengers back there that they're indeed riding in a dually...

What is it about vans and Great Stuff?

Last edited:

scphantm

Reaction score
Beats the hell out of me. But there won't be any when I'm done

I'm going to cut the floor out from the firewall back. Replace the whole thing. Then undercoat the bottom side and put down a rollon bed liner on the inside. No carpet. I'm even running the wires thru the roof beams so I can power wash the damn thing if I want. This truck is going to work for a living

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if its a stabbin cabin, work truck, what kind of work do you do. Inquiring minds want to know, or maybe not.lol

The spline on the trans is a common large 10 spline, many industrial things had them.
And where are you located?

scphantm

Reaction score
So i began cutting her apart. Friend of my dad passed away and had a bunch of 1/8th plate laying around. im going to start with that on the floor. This is certainly going to be a task.

The whole wire harness is coming out. im not even going to attempt to save anything. its a total loss. even stuff that runs across the frame, its just hacked to death. Im going to string a new harness for it.

The engine harness is in even worse shape. I have the diagrams, im just going to strip it and rewire the whole engine. Far quicker that way than trying to figure out this rats nest.

I am going to build a shelf behind the side door in front of the wheel well to relocate the batteries. i think i melted them when trying to move it monday due to the fact that brain surgeon pinched the starter line (the big old $9 a foot wire) between the block and the starter. guess what lit up when i hit the start key?

on a positive note, i do believe i now hold the world record for quickest removal of an econoline engine housing.

a little surprised to see a turbo sitting there. i don't think it spins as i didn't hear it driving home. and seeing that the oil pressure sensor hose is just dangling there and not hosing the engine bay with oil, i gotta think its seized up and not getting any oil

Figured out how he adapted a 2002 ZF6 to a 92 IDI. He didn't. It looks like the ZF6 has 6 bolts holding it to the block (never looked at the bottom come to think of it). the IDI doesn't have the top two. so he just simply never put the top two in. Now right dead center of them on the flange of the bell housing is a crack about 1/16 wide. when I pull the tranny to look at the clutch i will weld that up. But i do need to start formulating a plan to do this tranny correctly.

then dropping the tank i glanced at the drive shaft. while its true he got a custom shaft, he ordered it about 2 inches too short. so to make up the difference he went to home depot and got some zinc bolts and some big nuts to use as spacers and spaced the end of the driveshaft away from the end of the transfer case. i though that was awesome myself. shows real ingenuity.

Lots of problems. and its cold. but im having fun.

BTW, you think these will be beefy enough for my batteries? im going to put the batteries in the back as i said, and move the starter solenoid into the same rack. so the only thing that will come out of it will be the heavy 2/0 wire for the starter. run the ground to the frame, put a huge grounding strap from the frame to the block instead of the little strap it currently has. i should be good.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-TZKIT3-L...F8&refRID=0EW8E1AY8YMZS0NJYP44#productDetails

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I would use group 31 battery's with 3/8 studs and a copper lugs since you are going to build a custom battery box. Group 31 battery's are slightly cheaper and have more cranking amps which is always good. Lots of threads on here about it.
And take some pictures of these ingenious repairs the PO made, we all need to see this brain surgeons idea's.

scphantm

Reaction score
Good idea. Even tho I'm putting this in the cab, I'm thinking that I could still go with a traditional battery, instead of an odessey or something of that level (Agm sealed and such). It's an issue in boats because you have a much smaller area for the hydrogen to collect, but in this van? I don't think it's worth twice the price

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two 8D AGM batteries ought to be adequate to spin it...

Sounds like a real blessing in disguise this truck ;Poke

;Poke This thread is absolutely useless without updated pics ;Poke

Just sayin

scphantm

Reaction score
tough crowd. here ya go

Attachments

• IMG_4137.jpg
    IMG_4137.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4138.jpg
    IMG_4138.jpg
    786.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    984.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 23

scphantm

Reaction score
so you see the glowplug relay. i have an idea as to why its not working, maybe its the disconnected wires, or possibly the wire thats cut off. Or it could be the rest of the harness laying at the back of the block unattached to anything. Take your pick.

and you can see coming off the turbo, that coil of wire looking thing. yea, thats an oil pressure sending unit. its awesome finding that. Probably the only thing that saved me was the vacuum system is likely so screwed up the dump gate never opened and it never tried to spin. but who knows. it could be straight up seized.

But you can see a snip of the awesome wiring this budding electrical engineer did. i already have 600 feet of wire ready to go, i think im going to need more.

never in my wildest would i have ever thought the rust work would be the easy part. ugh.

scphantm

Reaction score
anyone know where i can find body bushings for this? its a 1991 e350 extended (super van i guess). no luck at JC Whitney and LMC truck laughed at me. I think this body has been lifted an inch or two, but i need to find a good original one to measure it to be sure. ford has em for like $80 a piece, i can't find anyone else that has them. For $80 a piece i will throw an old railroad tie on the wood lathe and spin some new ones out of oak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86