Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee. Thanks for all the great insights guys. LOL

So I think I've got just about everything de greased and ready for final clean up.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also scratched around and found the block serial number to make sure I wasn't giving away anything special.

Anyone know what the star at the end of the serial number means? I mean I've already voided the warranty, I'd hate to give away a magical long block too.

LOL

Scored a preferred cam gear and I think an oil pan too. Thanks @subway check your pm's. ;Sweet

I'm trying to figure out when the engine will drop. Think I'll call and put the order in Monday. Id like to have everything in line to have it running by Memorial Day. [emoji6]

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that's where I'm at. I actually ran into a guy at the parts store tonight who speaks my language. He drives a really nice 91 centurion. Cleanest one I've seen around here...and he stole it. [emoji21]. No miles on it. Didn't see snow until 2013 I think he said. Why can't deals like that ever fall into my lap.

centurions should never see snow.:eek:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, I pulled the cam gear off. Nice and easy.

My high dollar parts organizer.

Rotated the cam around and pulled the rockers off a pair at a time to get the pushrods out. Pulled the dog bones and spider then pulled the lifters and put the retainers all right back in place.

Now I need to pull the fuel pump eccentric and spacer off. Any recommendations on pulling them off? I've got a shop manual but it just calls out a special tool for the fuel pump lobe. I have a press. Bearing splitter maybe? Just need to get the cam hardware off to be able to send Russ the naked cam core and promar the hardware for their core.

Headed to see @subway tomorrow for some bits and a gander at his dt366 animal. [emoji6]

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup a bearing knife/splitter will do the trick.
they come off pretty easy with the right tools.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I headed up north today and met subway. Heck of a nice guy. Picked up a cam gear and an oil pan. So I looked at the pan and, I'll be damned if the plug isn't just like the one I had. With a good plug to measure, I figured out its actually 1/2-20. Okay. Chase my pan with half 20 tap, good as new. Plug fits good and tight. I don't know what the plug is supposed to be but that's two pans made that way do that must be normal. :dunno

Anyway, I cleaned some of the crap off my pan. It may be slightly better but until I sand blast them I won't know.

Aside from that, I mainly cleaned garage. Need to service my daily. I'd like to not do it in the rain.

I also picked up a bearing splitter kit so I can pull the lobe off the cam. Probably would have done that but while I was pulling the push rods and lifters I stuck the washer and cam bolt in and now I can't break it loose. I can put the impact on it and I'm sure it will spin right out but that's more than I had in me tonight.

It's going to be a rough week truck may have to go on hold until I get work squared around. [emoji20]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Red is getting closer to having a pulse again. I talked to Promar today. Got a little different story than the last time I talked to them. They actually recommended I supply all the parts this time. The story I got was that they would not warranty it if I "through a bunch of boost at it" and broke something. In the next breath the guy said that he knows a lot of guys turbo these and he has never had one come back for a warranty issue. So I saved myself some bucks and bought the ARP studs and valve springs myself. Got to love Amazon. They were cheaper on all of it. So dropped that order today and as soon as it gets here (should all be here by Friday) it will all get boxed and sent on it's way with a large check. $3199 for the long block with my goodies delivered and core return paid. For 8 sleeves and a total rebuild, I don't think I could beat it.

Next question. I know I have seen conversations on oil pumps. I believe the consensus was to use the stock oil pump over the Meling (sp?). Does that seem right? I really don't want to pull the engine over an oil pump issue and I don't know much about the condition of the oil pump on this engine. There was no real gauge on it. Thoughts?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was @typ4 that talked about OEM vs Melling oil pumps. I think he said something about the Melling tolerances not being as tight as on OEM pump, even an OEM pump with miles on it.... He said the Melling can be fixed, but it takes cleaning up some of the machining........ hopefully Russ will be along and see this......

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Red is getting closer to having a pulse again. I talked to Promar today. Got a little different story than the last time I talked to them. They actually recommended I supply all the parts this time. The story I got was that they would not warranty it if I "through a bunch of boost at it" and broke something. In the next breath the guy said that he knows a lot of guys turbo these and he has never had one come back for a warranty issue. So I saved myself some bucks and bought the ARP studs and valve springs myself. Got to love Amazon. They were cheaper on all of it. So dropped that order today and as soon as it gets here (should all be here by Friday) it will all get boxed and sent on it's way with a large check. $3199 for the long block with my goodies delivered and core return paid. For 8 sleeves and a total rebuild, I don't think I could beat it.

Next question. I know I have seen conversations on oil pumps. I believe the consensus was to use the stock oil pump over the Meling (sp?). Does that seem right? I really don't want to pull the engine over an oil pump issue and I don't know much about the condition of the oil pump on this engine. There was no real gauge on it. Thoughts?

That is the concensus...there are specs for all clearances in pump and blue printing it is a great idea.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the cover off stock pump, if the gears and shaft ends are not scored, run it. New melling may or may not be in spec. Your call.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a lot going on but work. I managed a few minutes.

Cam is naked.

I soda blasted the cam gear from subway to knock the little surface rust off it. The washed and oiled it. Got it ready to go with the rest of the care package to Promar Monday.

New HF gear splitter worked like a charm. Time to write a big check and wait. Got lots to do but I'll be sitting on the river bank a few days this week.

[emoji2]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online