ZF swap

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I said it once before and I meant it. When the E4OD finally gives up the ghost, the truck is going 5 speed.

I am headed out at first light tomorrow to put a down payment on a ZF S5-47 from a 1996 PSD Superduty. I am getting the clutch/brake pedal, clutch master and clutch slave cylinders, the shifter boot, shifter, metal floor plate, crossmember and transmission for $1100.

The flywheel is not compatable from the PSD to the IDI, so I am not takeing any of the clutch gear.

I have to either get lucky and find a proper legnth rear DS or have one made from one of BigRigTech's spares lol. The E4OD DS is too short from what I gather.

Anyone know the legnth of the E4OD's case vs the ZF's case....from the face of the bellhousing to the end of the tailshaft housing?

CB and linear amp have to be relocated, ALL the E4OD wiring and computer pulled....along with the E4OD. If anyone needs parts from the auto, let me know. I just put a new FIPL on it :sly

All I'll need to do is turbo and intercool it and I'll have a badass ride...until something ELSE breaks.

:puke:I hate Murphy's law!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You can either slowly source the parts from truck or buy a single mass flywheel conversion kit which will set you back another big chunk like 700 dollars IIRC

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I just got off the phone with my boss. He called me and was wondering how the progress was going with fixing my truck. I told him not good, just waiting to go do some banking to put the down payment on the 5 speed from the big truck salvage yard up the road.

He then said, well, go pick it up....it's all paid for....I was like *** are you talking about Dave? He knows how tight $$ is and how slack work is so he paid for my transmission (everything but the clutch) and told me to go get it! HUGE THANKS FOR THAT!!!!

Now I am looking for a clutch (BigRigTech is helping me hunt one down) and then at the least I need the rear DS from an F250 supercab with a 5 speed or have one built. The front shaft can wait a little until I get some more $$, I just need it shortened.

I am FINALLY gonna have a 5 speed diesel 4x4 MECHANICAL truck...I am so happy I could just cut down a tree!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I haven't found one yet, been making some calls....I have a 94 F250 4x4 IDI-T with a 5spd waiting to be picked up for dismantling so that is an option in the worst case scenario...I need the trans for a spare but I don't need the flywheel....I'm not sure if it's a SMF or DMF either.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
The front shaft can wait a little until I get some more $$, I just need it shortened.

im not sure if this will help or not but i have the stock front drive shaft out of my 89 f250. i have the zf5 and because i did the cummins swap it pushed everthing back 2 1/4 inches and i need my drive shaft lengthened. am i missing something here or is yours longer?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Too bad you're so far away, I have both front and rear shafts left over from my swap. Texas to Halifax would be killer on shipping though!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
im not sure if this will help or not but i have the stock front drive shaft out of my 89 f250. i have the zf5 and because i did the cummins swap it pushed everthing back 2 1/4 inches and i need my drive shaft lengthened. am i missing something here or is yours longer?

From the info I gathered last night, the ZF is 14" shorter than the E4OD. This brings the T case 14" closer to the front axle, so I need to shorten the front DS.

That means that I need to lengthen the rear DS the same distance.

How does this work with the T case linkage? Does it need to be modified as well?

I got a price from ford for a DMF flywheel alone.....$2000

I also got a pretty standard price for a LUK flywheel.....JUST THE FLYWHEEL...$400 new....

I might as well get a south bend or an LuK from ebay if that's what I am going to pay!!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I haven't found one yet, been making some calls....I have a 94 F250 4x4 IDI-T with a 5spd waiting to be picked up for dismantling so that is an option in the worst case scenario...I need the trans for a spare but I don't need the flywheel....I'm not sure if it's a SMF or DMF either.

If worse comes to worse that might be the only option. I just want to get this effin truck back on the road and be done with it. Ever since we moved it's been nothing but nickel and diming me to death. Once this is done the ONLY thing that can happen is a Seaking Helicopter can crash on it.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online