AC service possibile conversion

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Available at NAPA , However as i previously mentioned when they look it up it will come up under the 1991 and older model's for Some reason 91 and up only show ( Blue, Red ) , They will also tell you it's a GM tube .I installed it and so far so good .

Part Number: TEM 207319B
Product Line: NAPA Temp

Just what ever you do as every one here said and i did as well FLUSH the SYSTEM , Yes it's an extra messy step without a doubt but i believe it's top priorities on the List of DIY AC service and the lines already open . i also found out the hidden treasure ( the longer you pull the Vacuum the better )

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Thank you sir, I had looked under the 91 but still was unable to find it, thus why I asked. I will be stopping by Napa today

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Got my orange tubes today, when you bought them at Napa how much did it run ya? Did you get a whole bag of them or just one for 2 bucks?

Ive got a bag of 9 of them, I doubt me an M2driver will use them all so let me know if any one needs one ill have extras

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa here has orifice tubes out on the floor.we buy them by the dozen from ranshu

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt me an M2driver will use them all so let me know if any one needs one ill have extras

You never know, I'm on a breaking stuff streak so far. What was supposed to be a fast accum/dryer swap turned into an pending evap core replacement. Trying to remove the nut I snapped the weld off at the upper neck. The hose that connects the lower tube of the core to the condenser (where the O-tube is) wo't come off so that's a new hose, and while I'm at it I might as well get a new compressor to condenser hose as that nut is rusted on and I'm afraid I'll snap it off also. At this rate, I'm heading towards all new parts less the compressor which works.

Would anyone happen to have a spare right side condenser core cover they would like to sell? It's on the passenger side of the truck and is the part which gets removed to access the core. Mine has a nice crack in it.

ETA: Finally got the plastic condenser core housing off. For anyone trying this, there is one lower screw that can only be accessed through the passenger footwell inside the cab. Unscrew that and the numerous screws from inside the engine compartment and it slides right out. I stop-drilled and zip tied my cover and sealed the openings and it came out strong.

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I changed my fan clutch and now I have better a/c performance at idle. Fan definitely runs more now also and upon startup runs for a lot longer than with the old clutch. I bought it last year from u haul parts on e bay. I'm very happy so far with it, I have 600 miles on it this weekend.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st long trip with the Green Machine Fixed AC .. 350 miles round trip . AC super cold and work like it should . I was extremely happy with it .

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a new condenser. During an earlier vacuum test last week, I noted a leak in it and the system wouldn't hold vacuum past 25psi. So all components/hoses are new except the compressor which I previously verified was functional.

I calculated 46oz of refrigerant (based on R12 and converting) and 10oz of oil (based on 3.5oz/lb). The question just came to me as 'where does the oil go?' For something which has been so generally scientific so far, it's hard to believe that it would be 'a little here, a little there' type of answer. If the oil gets circulated through the system concurrently with the refrigerant, I would imagine that the oil would get added at multiple points in the system rather than dumping it in at one location. Or I'm wrong...

I did not recover any oil from my system and everything is new except the compressor if that helps. There might be some oil left in the compressor but I wouldn't know where to look for it.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to wrap this up by the weekend.

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run the old style York compressor, the compressor has a sump that holds the oil, just like your engine, which lubricates the pistons and rods for the compressor.

If you have any of the later style rotary compressors the oil is dispersed into the coolant and travels with it as it cycles through the system, which lubricates the moving parts of the compressor.

This is why if you are running R12, you need one kind of oil... and another kind of oil for what ever other kind of "EPA Approved coolant" you may be using.. the oil has to be compatable chemically with the coolant and stay dispersed while lubricating. Wrong oil, and the compressor doesn't get lubed,, it eats it's self, it's a bad day in Bedrock.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is the original York compressor. Being that this is a complete R134a retrofit, is it acceptable to drain whatever oil is currently in the compressor and put 10oz of new oil in it, charge the system, and be done with it? I'll have to look at the compressor again to find the service and drain locations.

I'm having a tough time understanding, or just don't appreciate, whether the oil is specifically for the compressor or needs to be circulated through the entire system.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The York has its own sump. It will be lubed regardless of refrigerant used. Ester will mix with both Pag and mineral oil. If I was doing this I'd add some ester to the sump and not worry about it.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the compressor I have. I googled ford pickup compressors and a few other keywords and saw another thread on another forum where all agreed it was a York. If I am mistaken, please let me know.
This work is for the truck in my signature.
Thanks again.

ETA: Not a York. FS6. My fault for listening to the clowns on another site.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online