Cummins swap?

Smokeyseventhree

Reaction score
Sooo I really want to do a cummins swap. I REALLY want a 98.5-02 24v but I found a 92 12v for $500 that needs the turbo and motor rebuilt. But is a cummins swap fairly easy? Is it really worth it? Should I wait and get a 24v or get a 12v? I know everyone loves 12v (I do) but I would like to chip it and do some good pulling with it.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But is a cummins swap fairly easy? NO... also need the transmission
Is it really worth it? If you have a dead IDI truck
Should I wait and get a 24v or get a 12v? 12v are just fine, cheaper to mod
I know everyone loves 12v (I do) but I would like to chip it and do some good pulling with it. Buy a whole dodge truck, would be cheaper in the end

Answers in bold above, from someone who's kicked this same idea around.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But is a cummins swap fairly easy? NO... also need the transmission
Is it really worth it? If you have a dead IDI truck
Should I wait and get a 24v or get a 12v? 12v are just fine, cheaper to mod
I know everyone loves 12v (I do) but I would like to chip it and do some good pulling with it. Buy a whole dodge truck, would be cheaper in the end
Answers in bold above, from someone who's kicked this same idea around.
To expand on that a bit...

If you're 2WD, you're better off finding a Dodge transmission, but if you're 4x4, you'd do better to get an adapter plate to use the Ford transmission and transfer case, unless you want to get a 2WD transmission and a divorced transfer case. Neither option is cheap!

The 12 valve is all mechanical, so less of a wiring hassle than a 24 valve, which has an electronically controlled injector pump...on the other hand, you can't "chip" a 12 valve...however, there are modifications you can make to the injector pump. Many people who are looking for power prefer the '94-'98 P7100 inline pump engines.

And, as BDCarrillo said, getting a Dodge truck would be cheaper, if you can live with a regular or extended-cab truck...although, if you need a true 4 door crew-cab, your only choice is to swap a 6BT to a Ford or bowtie, or buy an '03+ Dodge with a common-rail engine...

Just some thoughts from someone who's also contemplated the swap...good luck with your decision, whichever way you go ;Sweet

Smokeyseventhree

Reaction score
Thanks both of you, I think I'm going to swap a 94-98 12v into my truck and get an adapter for my zf5, I LOVE 2nd gen dodge body style (94-02) but I LOVE my 4 doors and comfortable ford interior, I won't get any dodge frame 04.5-07.5 because of the problems they had. I'm looking around for a motor and trans so hen I get money I can buy one, but I'm also looking for some one who might trade me a powerstroke or cummins.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a guy with a 12 valve dodge and an IDI, I can say that I really like my 12 valve. So much so that I'm going to sell my crew cab instead of my Dodge since I have decided that I only need one truck. The best course for doing a swap is to do like was suggested and buy a whole truck as a donor. There are tons of little things that will add up fast if you have to piece it all together. Find one that's wrecked, ugly, bad trans, etc for the best price.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online