Spindle Damage

seancporter

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of doing wheel bearings/spindle bearings on my D44HD and on the driver's side noticed some apparent damage toward the inside of the spindle. It's a raised line that runs around the spindle just before the flange where it meets the dust cover. just enough to catch on a finger nail. I don't remember anything like this on the other side. Is this OK to use? I could try to take a wire brush to it, or is this something that a machinist needs to do?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Cheers,
Sean

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow that looks terrible but... The pic is not telling me this is a crack or just poor machining. Try removing just about 1/4 inch of that edge but keep the radius. See if its a crack or just poor machining that was not finished well.

seancporter

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll look, but it doesn't look like a crack, just a raised edge. 1/4" seems like a lot of material? should I just try to gently grind/brush it flush with the radius and see what's there?

seancporter

Reaction score
Ground down the edge with a wheel brush. Seems like it cleaned up pretty well. No cracks. I think I'm going to put it back together this way and see how it goes. I'll post a pic shortly. Thanks for the quick help--

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he meant in length.... clean up a 1/4 " of it and make sure its not a crack before you do it all. Anyway, it should be fine if it cleaned up and there is no crack. If you used a light touch, I doubt you distorted it enough to cause a problem but I'm no expert on spindles.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry about that. What I meant to post was around the crack diameter clean it up about 1/4 inch in length. Sort of like you did. Another easy way to see a crack is to use a torch on it. A propane or map or acetylene torch will show up a crack very well. Just run the flame over the crack and see it glow bright red. This happens because of the sharp edge.ma

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like race spun on spindle previously and pressed against that area and galled the metal a bit to me is all, seeing as it cleaned up so nicely I'd say yer golden.

I opened the pics in another window and enlarged images 3x to take a closer look and I'm pretty sure of what I'm saying based on those observations.

JM2CW

Others may find differently