IDI to Powerstroke

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point it's one yes away from happening, the counter man made the deal but has to OK it with the boss.

Some history: The truck is an 93 F-250, IDI, with an ATS aftermarket turbo. The original engine was dying and so another engine was sourced from the junkyard. That junkyard engine has even more blow-by than the original and is making some not so nice noises. The JY said they would find another but also came up with trading it for the a Powerstroke. The PS is a 97 and would drop the whole truck off and pick it up when done with the swap.
I'm not taking this task on but am helping and might ended up being the bennificiary of the turbo, head studs, and torquer cam that are currently in the 93.

The guy doing the swap doesn't seem to have a problem swapping from cables to drive by wire.

I'll get pictures and update as the project begins.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say...easier to swap entire cab over from the PS truck than mess with wiring...I helped with this swap once already..

You will need a PS rad support and rad as well.

Swapping cabs kept the entire wiring together...the engine bay harness is not a problem but that comp and dash sucks to swap...

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That swap sounds to me like a bad deal. First off you tried to do a bolt in swap but the engine was crap. So now the "yard" is trying to sell you on a better engine but much more work... That they will do for the owner??? I'm just not buying that... How can they make any money off that. Surely the owner can see rebuilding what he has is a safer and cheaper deal no matter how this is looked at... Long term is way cheaper to keep the idi. Just try finding a new set of injecters for that psd engine... you just can't find them anywhere. Figure around $4000.00 for a rebuilt injecter set plus installation remembering the top of the engine needs to be removed plus the valve covers. Once thats done the injecters have a sleeve in the heads and if those need to be replaced all the coolant has to be dropped out. Its a no win job if money is tight. A set of hi proformanse stage 5 injecters for the psd engine are about $1000.00 each. They are trick but at that price they better be able to cook dinner and clean up afterwards...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah Gary; your a little bit off on the PSD injectors.

Just bought a tool set and the sleeves for a change on my 99 PSD, tool set, sleeves and O'ring set $460, rebuilt injectors $1350 plus $800 core charge, new UVCH valve cover gaskets $ 114, oil change $80, coolant recharge $70, 16 hrs of gut wrenching, 3 hrs to get the damn valve cover bolt's back in by the firewall. Drivers side is easy, passengers side one SOB. Local guy said he would do the whole job for only $5000. Whoopee. :eek::D

But then if I go for the single shot injectors instead of the split shot, that's only $500 more.

Premium Stage-3: $1650 *Overhaul and 238 cc Single Shot Hybrid upgrade, new nozzles flow 100% over stock.

With correct supporting mods, these are capable of over 500 hp.

Attachments

• Master%20Kit.jpg
    Master%20Kit.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Stage 3 compared to stage 5... Big bucjks differance. Having someone else do the work... Priceles sometimes... No matter who does the work its so much more than what we have to do for an injecter changeout. The cost of doing all 8 of our injecters... Just money wise... $300.00 and no valve covers were hurt in the filming or work...:sly:angel:

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that is getting the PS, it's probably not a bad idea for him, he want to get in and work, no tinkering.
I also told him it wasn't the best idea but it's what he wants to do, it's his money. With a ATS turbo, cam, and open exhaust, I'll bet he is pushing as much HP as the PS but he still wants it, again his money.
If you noticed, all of a sudden, there are a bunch of extra IDI parts that he isn't going to use, so they might end up on mine :) I'm keeping my IDI, and have no desire to move up to a PS, if anything else goes in my truck it will be a cummins.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
stage 5 psd injectors are putting out an insane amount of fuel. i think i read the CC's somewhere but don't recal. stage 5 is for purpose built racing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know where you get stage 5's, but stage 3's eat up 238 CC and produce 500 HP and up.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
You have to remember that PSD injectors can be replaced individually and last up 300,000 miles.

I don't see why there is so much hatred for the PSD, it's a great motor that has a very loyal following, just like the IDI.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You have to remember that PSD injectors can be replaced individually and last up 300,000 miles.

I don't see why there is so much hatred for the PSD, it's a great motor that has a very loyal following, just like the IDI.

When it comes to the PSD most people are intimidated by the electronics.
In reality a PSD is no harder to work on than a IDI. Somtimes they can be easier. Plug in AE, then fix it.
Most times you can get away with some basic diesel engine skills to fix them. No fancy scanners ect.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out it's a 95 truck but whatever it will still work.

You must be registered for see images attach

And out:

You must be registered for see images attach

We also pulled the beds of 3 trucks (the PS, the IDI, and a gasser getting a cummins) so swap fuel lines and sending units.
and as of last night the dash was pulled out of the PS along with the wiring harness.
Also needed a new Torque converter to move from 4 stud to a 6 stud flexplate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online