Why Convert To Electric Cooling Fan?

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrofitting electric fans from other vehicles and upgrading the alternator system can require a lot of time and money.

What is the benefit of the upgrade? Higher MPGs? Higher reliability? Etc.?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You will get some improvement in mpg and hp gain too. I really can't say what the increases will be. Many here really don't like the motorcraft fan clutch. Its expensive to replace and haveing one behind the rear seat is really not going to help much if you don't have the two clutch tools and some blue loctite.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mainly better reliability / mileage. My $0.02 is that you really don't gain much and get more headaches. A *properly* functioning stock clutch works quite well. think most of the complaints are poorly functional fun clutches or crumby aftermarket replacements.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Living in Oklahoma during the summer heat -makes me think "would an electric fan for my ac condenser give me good AC at a stop light etc. To me that would be the best reason.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only drive your truck to the store for grocieres electric fans are fine. Not towing. Ya I'm a bit old school. But as John said above a properly functioning fan clutch works very well.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only drive your truck to the store for grocieres electric fans are fine. Not towing. Ya I'm a bit old school. But as John said above a properly functioning fan clutch works very well.

Electric fans are great for any application so long as the proper air flow is supplied.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reasons are multiple.here are the quick few i can think of off the top of my head inside 5 mins:

1.the stock mechanical fan clutches are failure prone.
2.the stock mechanical fan,when locked up robs hp.rather than loose your momentum going up the hill,due to hp going to cool your engine,the hp is left at the wheels to take you up (electric fans,even two,on high,cannot be felt at all.)
3.the stock mechanical fan is heavy and therefore puts more strain on the water pump.
4.the stock mechanical fan "can" and does,have a tendency to fly off and as a result,a many idi owner have lost radiators this way.
5.the stock mechanical fan always spins even when unlocked,which means it's always using some of your fuel to spin (nothing can operate for free.it requires an energy source)
6.many stock ford e-fans (and other brands) have been known to last an extremely long time before replacement is required.
7.frees up engine bay space,making for a cleaner look,along with ease,and safety when working on the engine when running.
8.idle,or just off idle airflow can be brought up far past the cfm rating of the stock mechanical fan on the fly.this is useful for those who work/drive off road/slow zones,where more cooling airflow may be desired,such as when using A/C.much cooler air as a result.
9.ease and cost of replacement.a lot easier to swap out an e-fan motor (just a min or two) and the price is well under $50 used.
10.increased throttle response.
11.quieter operation.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they're good for a few more things besides just hauling a loaf of bread and some milk.for example.here's my 8k lb truck (certified scaled)..........when empty,keeping cool very easily with the dual ford windstar cooling fan assembly.;Sweet

note,
the pic with the snow plow on..........by far the e-fans best workout to date.they can and do stay running for a while when that's on.any other condition in the summer......hardly break a sweat.

Attachments

• plow .jpg
    plow .jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 20
  • user342961_pic49921_1288717034.jpg
    user342961_pic49921_1288717034.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 19
  • user342961_pic49924_1288717146.jpg
    user342961_pic49924_1288717146.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 18
  • user342961_pic96655_1332953850.jpg
    user342961_pic96655_1332953850.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 40

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I tow plenty with my truck and have no problems with the E-fans or overheating.

I routinely haul 4-6 butcher steers at 10-12k lbs
You must be registered for see images attach

Or 13500lbs of dozer and trailer

Or 15000+ lbs of equipment and trailer.

Last edited:

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, all I know is I can haul 15000+ lbs at super slow speeds through the woods to get to logging jobs and not overheat.