Why Convert To Electric Cooling Fan?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the reasons are multiple.here are the quick few i can think of off the top of my head inside 5 mins:
2.the stock mechanical fan,when locked up robs hp.rather than loose your momentum going up the hill,due to hp going to cool your engine,the hp is left at the wheels to take you up (electric fans,even two,on high,cannot be felt at all.)

You're not really going to gain any power. You just don't see it as easily. Still takes energy to spin the fan and that still come from the engine.

I can't feel any difference in power with out without the fan engaged.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You're not really going to gain any power. You just don't see it as easily. Still takes energy to spin the fan and that still come from the engine.

Are you sure that your mechanical fan is locking up? My factory one never locked (except when towing a broke down Kenworth on his lowboy in 100* heat), my parts store craptastic fan clutch locks up quite often, and is very noticeable.

I'm making the change for a few reasons;
1. I've had the mechanical eat 2 radiators.
2. The mechanical makes belt replacement a PITA compared to an electric.
3. Noticeable drag caused by the mechanical.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fans look like those. Next time I'm around the truck I'll get a picture. (truck is attached to the stock trailer at my inlaws farm about 50 miles away as they have some of my cattle for the summer grazing).

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fans look like those. Next time I'm around the truck I'll get a picture. (truck is attached to the stock trailer at my inlaws farm about 50 miles away as they have some of my cattle for the summer grazing).
Ya I kinda thought they would look like that....considering I think those ones are off a 06 not entirely sure...cost me 20 bucks...

Got these Taurus 3.8 fans free.. notice the difference between the truck fan and taurus fan setups. That's a stock 7.3 tall narrow fan shrowd behind the truck fans...I was thinking of cutting the truck fans up and the taurus fans up and using the Left truck fan and lower taurus fan and glassing them into/onto the stock fan shrowd to build my fan setup...

Not sure yet, but going to measure that ***** out in next few days and see how it could work....maybe draw it out on cardboard and visualize it etc.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of how I locked my stock fan up to work all the time.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thats right.all your going to do is free hp.not gain any.but good enough when talking about a low hp idi engine.

the e-fans don't take power all the time,like the mechanical does.
the e-fan's only need to work when working the truck/under load and then they go right back off (using a/c being exempt)
electric motors generate some of their own power once on.
i have a variable rate fan controller on top of all this,which means my e-fans only spin enough to cool the engine.
http://www.dccontrol.com/fk85.pdf

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the Taurus fans for a while and they worked great- until I was on the highway at 70mph+.

I think the taurus shroud blocked the flow at speed. Not wanting to rig up some kind of vent system, I put my mech. back on.

Does anyone with electrics cruise above 65 or so? Ive replaced several things since and I wonder if the Taurus shroud was never the problem to begin with.

What about a tab-locked clutch or locked adapter and a flex fan? Would that be nice and quiet?