Moose Pumps and waste motor oil cores

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just a newsflash here. Recently I have been getting cores that were of dubious quality. One looked like somebody took it apart and put it together wrong, and another was so tore up by running WMO, that it took an inordinant amount of parts and labor. These pumps have really jacked up the cost of my rebuilds, so much to the point that I am looking at being forced into a price increase. My goal is to continue to keep these prices affordable, so to that end I am forced to make the following statement:

I will no longer accept pumps that are or were running Waste Motor Oil as fuel.
This also means that anyone who buys a pump from me and uses WMO or non #2 diesel alternative fuels (except legitamate biodiesels) will immeadiately void their warranty going forward.

The reality is, and I have posted about this MANY times in the past... the decision to run WMO as fuel is strictly a financial one. Yes, you can save incredible amounts of money by running WMO. I do it myself, in the Moosestang which is not running one of my pumps. But in so doing, one must set aside funds to make repairs to the fuel system which become necessary due to accelerated wear. The carbon in WMO is hard, and no amount of filtering is going to make that oil clean enough for an IP, and the carbon just tears the inside of a pump up. So if you run WMO, you are budgeting for an outright pump replacement. NOT an exchange. Since your saving all kinds of money, this news should not upset you. But I wanted to make it clear, that we cannot have the prices of pumps being driven up by thrifty folks who are making life harder for those who are willing to afford diesel.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm well that sounds fa I was wondering myself how that all went with your pumps. Well I have to #2 only pumps I want to get rebuilt soon one babby an one full. Thanks for makin us a good high quality pump at an honest affordable price.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i guess i would like to ask, is there a way to check this ahead of time? not all WMO filtering is equal and some can be done poorly. i am not argueing your position and can clearly see the sound reasoning behind it, i would just like to know if a WMO pump could be checked as acceptable beforehand so you would not be eating the cost.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does a moose pump cost if you a person sends in a running core? What is the out right price if your cores in rough shape? Ballpark figure would be fine. I don't know if we're taking $500 or $1000 or $1500.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Mel

I'd be super curious to know if you had any data/experience to support how much sooner "typically" a pump might last running WMO vs. just your typical "diesel only" pump. My wondering is more for my own information, not to try and negate your new policy or anything. (Which makes sense, even a centrifuge will not remove carbon)

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the carbon can be removed from waste engine oil. It involves heat and a good vacuum.

I'm going to buy the filtering process soon.

Maybe in the next 2 or 3 years :D

It's a pricey setup.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello sir rebuildable ip pumps can be had for almost nothing ,, .why not do away with the exchange or core charge ..and just sell the pumps out right ..,,,non working ip pumps have little value to anyone except places that rebuild them ..offer a 20.00 credit for the old pump instead ...this way is fair for every one . in my opinion sir

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get upset if you are running WMO and now have just read hard evidence you are ruining your fuel system running it. If it causes that kind of damage to the pump, just think what it does to the injectors. I still say if the oil is clean enough to run through the fuel system, it's clean enough to put back into the crankcase. I don't see much difference in the precision fits of the pump, and the engine itself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Franklin. The clearances in a good injection pump is way less than 1/2 a thousands. Factory specs for bearing cleanance in out engines is 3 1/2 thousands and the piston to cylinder is around 6 thousands clearance. If someone told you this about cleanances in the pump compared to our engines then I would walk away from them although its sometimes fun to listen and cuckle softly too. I look at it this way... How many reading this will believe the sign.... WET PAINT and not touch it just to make sure the sign is true.....

wmoguy

Reaction score
Franklin. The clearances in a good injection pump is way less than 1/2 a thousands. Factory specs for bearing cleanance in out engines is 3 1/2 thousands and the piston to cylinder is around 6 thousands clearance. If someone told you this about cleanances in the pump compared to our engines then I would walk away from them although its sometimes fun to listen and cuckle softly too. I look at it this way... How many reading this will believe the sign.... WET PAINT and not touch it just to make sure the sign is true.....

LOL thats funny Gary!

Myself I know and don't really care that this is hard/er on my IP. For what i saved in fuel last year I could buy a new Moose pump every month (not that I'd wanna replace one that often!) But point illustrated. Now, I would love some more info on how long a pump typically lasts on WMO blend vs. Diesel. I'd have to go pull some receipts to be certain, but I "think" my current pump has around 20k of WMO blends thru it as of now. and purrs like a kitten.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
LOL thats funny Gary!

Myself I know and don't really care that this is hard/er on my IP. For what i saved in fuel last year I could buy a new Moose pump every month (not that I'd wanna replace one that often!) But point illustrated. Now, I would love some more info on how long a pump typically lasts on WMO blend vs. Diesel. I'd have to go pull some receipts to be certain, but I "think" my current pump has around 20k of WMO blends thru it as of now. and purrs like a kitten.

Got you beat dude. Got 65K on my pump and shes running strong. Even after having a lift pump failure and the db2 had to suck fuel on its own to get me and the trailer i had in tow off the interstate.

edit: this is on a stock rebuilt db2 pump. I have a pump that was built by a local stanadyne shop to be a "performance" rebuild but i yanked that off to run WMO. The cheapo parts store pumps work well for WMO.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Got you beat dude. Got 65K on my pump and shes running strong. Even after having a lift pump failure and the db2 had to suck fuel on its own to get me and the trailer i had in tow off the interstate.

Cool! Thats what i wanna hear!

(Sorry Mel, didn't mean to jack your thread)

@ Mel: By chance do you have any pics of the internals of this WMO destroyed pump?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll bet the WMO wears out the pump roller and the cage its rides in. I believe thats the area when worn to much causes the heat soak hard starts. So running a thicker fuel will put off replacing the pump for a while but its only a banaid at best. If you really wanted to help a pump live longer just add a quart of CLEAN... UNUSED motor oil to every tank full. Somebody with more blending experiance than me will chime in out whats the best oil to use. Some use the two stroke oil and some use any new oil. Just about anything is better than the fuel we are forced to run these days.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
hello sir rebuildable ip pumps can be had for almost nothing ,, .why not do away with the exchange or core charge ..and just sell the pumps out right ..,,,non working ip pumps have little value to anyone except places that rebuild them ..offer a 20.00 credit for the old pump instead ...this way is fair for every one . in my opinion sir

wrong. a GOOD rebuildable pump is what he wants. pumps that have been sitting or junk yard pumps normally require alot more to rebuild than one that came off a running motor. his prices for pump are determined by the pump you send him. if your pump needs more replaced than other pumps, yours will cost a little more. the way mel does it is the lowest cost way. if he was to sell them how you listed, they would have to be $200 or more above what they cost now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online