Auto-RX vs Seafoam

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is Auto-RX has to be purchased online...this sucks! Trust me it does, though what I have read makes this THE HOT ticket for engine flushing....

So anyone ever try using Seafoam in a similar fashion? 2oz per Qt of oil? Just curious if anyone thinks it would do the same or has experimented at all?

It would appear that seafoam is more a combustion chamber cleaner seeing as you do not add much to the oil...I know you add some to the oil, so that's my queery!

Oh ya, I can get Seafoam locally and it's less expensive too....makes me wonder....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've seen seafoam break stuff loose fast enough to plug a oil pump pickup screen...it works, but on a really dirty engine, I'd worry about how fast it works. I had the same thing happen with Marvel in an engine that sat a while. It was a 3.0 Ford and had about 70,000 miles on it, it was in a car that had been totalled and I installed it in another car that had unrepairable engine damage. The owner wanted it put in and against my better judgement, I did it. He made it about 10 miles down the road and the engine oil light came on. Brought it back, pulled the oil pan and the pickup was plugged.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Solvent flushes like seafoam break junk off that clog things up. I personally had one jam a lifter up causing me to have to pull an engine part. Stay away from fast flushes they all run the same risk . Ive been using and selling amsoil for over 30 years and I wont use their solvent flush either. I use Auto Rx before converting old engines anymore. Nuff said.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use seafoam religiously on my gas motors. every other oil change gets it. Possibly why my 302 made it over 200k miles :)

My wifes explorer has 258K ish miles and its gets the same treatment.

I want to run it in my 7.3 but i havent gotten that far, and the oil changes are a bit more pricey.

I was worried about the above... clogging the oil pickup =/

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
i use seafoam religiously on my gas motors. every other oil change gets it. Possibly why my 302 made it over 200k miles :)

My wifes explorer has 258K ish miles and its gets the same treatment.

I want to run it in my 7.3 but i havent gotten that far, and the oil changes are a bit more pricey.

I was worried about the above... clogging the oil pickup =/

I'd say if you do it from the early stages, you'd be fine, you'd keep the buildup to a minimum, but once there are deposits formed and you dump a fast flush in there, it's gonna come loose and end up somewhere you probably don't want it!

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think not this year but next im gonna yank the motor, do a full rebuild just to have it done, install a turbo and all that... I think its safer for me to just leave her dirty till then ya know!

I have considered using a SMALL ammount (like 1/5 of what is called for) to clean it up a little bit) but im a sissy, and dont want the the chance to have to do more work, before i save funds up

I cant find the link, but there was a HIGH mileage seafoam thread on another forum *a chevelle site maybe? possibly camaro? i cant find it* Where people were saying to clean the heads, remove the oil pan, clean her all up, THEN do seafoam treatment to clean the rest of the motor to reduce the risk. To much work for me, maybe something you could do while you have the engine out, before it finds its new home in your bko

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoke with a rep today, he suggested 1-1.5 OZ per qt of oil...drive for like 100 miles and dump oil...don't know...sure would like to get some auto-rx n give that a try...May have to bite bullet ugh..I Soooo hate dealing with shipping and cross border crap it sooooo sucks large turds from dead pigmy goats!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Well, I've got over 250K miles on my 5.0, no seafoam ever.
350K + on my 6.9, no seafoam.

Saying seafoam helped you engines survive to high miles, is kinda silly.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I've got over 250K miles on my 5.0, no seafoam ever.
350K + on my 6.9, no seafoam.

Saying seafoam helped you engines survive to high miles, is kinda silly.

Same here, last four vehicles - 345,000 83 Celebrity, 295,000 87 S10, 240,000 C10, 245,000 and counting on my 03 Santa Fe...no seafoam ever, synthetic oil, always! :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Spoke with a rep today, he suggested 1-1.5 OZ per qt of oil...drive for like 100 miles and dump oil...don't know...sure would like to get some auto-rx n give that a try...May have to bite bullet ugh..I Soooo hate dealing with shipping and cross border crap it sooooo sucks large turds from dead pigmy goats!

At least Auto RX has the good sense to ship via the USPS priorty international mail so you wont get screwed over by the UPS BS at the border, it should arrive in about a week without a fuss

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Auto RX has the good sense to ship via the USPS priorty international mail so you wont get screwed over by the UPS BS at the border, it should arrive in about a week without a fuss
Buddy in lower mainland cross down there all the time...willing to pu some for me! Woot!...gotta love it!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 3K on my oil when I could afford to change it (truck tows like 3 times a year) and before I changed it I put an entire bottle of seafoam in the crank case and put 50 miles on it. Before I changed it I filled a fresh fuel filter up with seafoam and let it run for ~30 seconds.

I changed the oil, fired it up and it didn't smoke, but I gained power, no ********. The truck will accelerate up hills with a load and I can actually speed when loaded!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key here is to remember that a properly maintained engine, with regular oil changes, has little need for special additives. However, a neglected engine, or one that sits a lot in a varying climate may suffer from materials that settle, and build up sludge. Those are the engines such additives are usefull for.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key here is to remember that a properly maintained engine, with regular oil changes, has little need for special additives. However, a neglected engine, or one that sits a lot in a varying climate may suffer from materials that settle, and build up sludge. Those are the engines such additives are usefull for.

This is my point, this engine though very low mileage for age, was a work/service truck for a logging company. That IMHO means lots of time idling and short trips, no long term runs to burn off crap outta oil water etc.

It has sat for several years with minimal use, moved about the yard about it. I don't know the service history. Though it is a 1 owner 2 NOW truck.

It runs nice as far as I know, now that I swapped some new hoses for return lines, and o rings, threw a can of diesel purge into a new fuel filter and fired it up again...runs very smooth.

Next is a nice oil change with some inexpensive Napa oil, I may throw some (NOT MUCH) seafoam in and drive for a 100 miles or so (ITS ALL I GOT AND CAN AFFORD RIGHT NOW)...like half a bottle prior to change just to get things cleared out a bit.

Near 1500-2000K I'll do it again a oil change and hopefully by then I can get a few cans of auto rx to help with clearing any ring deposit etc.

Anyway, I'll be changing oil later...on this freshly cleaned engine
You must be registered for see images attach