Turning up fuel

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
now that i have a pyro i decided to try turning up my feul. i took the cover off of the IP then found the fuel screw. it would not turn by hand. so i got some vice grips. i "think" i turned the screw 1 flat max. i test drove and noticed no difference. egt's were the same, maxed out at 850-900*. boost maxes out at 5psi. both of those max numbers happen once i get to about 65-70mph. taking off from a stop civilized i see 3psi and 700*.

how quickly does your egt's and boost numbers rise?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost hits pretty hard and egts climb slow to around 800. I need to turn mine up Again see as I have a new pump.
When I did mine I had the closed side of a wrench around the Allen wrench. That turns it pretty easy. Tons more power too.
My only suggestion is to pull the cover back off and try it with a wrench. I think I did 3 flats yesterday.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so you put a box end wrench around the allen wrench to be able to turn it.

so your boost comes on right away or once it does come on it is like "I'M HERE"?

BTW, i decided to take my downpipe off so i could get to my up pipe and seal it up. what a difference. now it does not sound like there is a huge snake sitting in my dash hissing. good lord that dp is heavy. that did not make a difference in boost though:dunno. from the sounds of it though i need quite a bit more fuel.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took a normal 4mm(?) wrench and closed side aroun it before I stuck the Allen in. Pretty easy and much easier to turn.
My boost. Pretty much as I step into it it hits 3 and climbs to 7 were it stops(exhaust leak)

So all of your exhaust leaks are fixed?if egts are still on the low side justturn it up some more or mess with your wastegate.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say that even with your exhaust leaks fixed boost diner change.
I'm thinking your wastegate needs adjusting. Then mess with fuel abit

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
can boost increase even when the wg opens? i ask b/c WOT never gets above 5psi, but when i pass somebody i go pedal to the floor and i can hit 8psi easy once the tranny kicks down.

the wg would make sense though since once i hit 5 psi my eg't still climb but boost REALLY struggles to increase.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea sounds like waste gate.
Tranny shifts down. Rpms rise so more airflow and heat going through to spool turbo overpowering wastegate.
Only thing I can think of right now to explain that.
I'm thinking if you adjust your wastegate or just close it up completely yull hit that 8 pretty easy. Then adjust fuel.

The only other thing I can think of is oh still have the crap ford called a down pipe and exhaust housing.
Maybe a leak between your intake hate and manifold?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is oh still have the crap ford called a down pipe and exhaust housing.

you bet. LOL

so to test the wg idea i could just plug it for now and see what that gets me. based on those results i will know if my wg is causing me to not get past 5psi. to plug the wg can i just disconnect the hose hose that goes from the comp housing to the wg actuator and put a bolt in with a hose clamp? i think i have seen that done.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so.
Could just close it up with vice grips for a quick test drive.
If you do a search I know it's been covered before. I don't know too much about wastegates.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Be careful about over boosting with the waste gate disabled.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ok, so i plugged my wg hose with a bolt and wired the wg arm shut so it would not open. that actually lowered my max boost. i now max out at 4psi. it climbs good to 4 then it WILL NOT get any higher, yet my egt's continue to climb. the only way to hit 4 psi is to go WOT from a near stand still.

i am mystified by how plugging my wg would lower max boost.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats odd. My baby moose would peg 15 psi when floors with an exhaust leak and the eastegate disabled. It didn't boost fast because of the leak. But when it didn't leak it would peg 9 psi fast. I've never crank!d up the fuel ether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online