Is this a gear reduction starter and will it fit?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I went to Advance auto parts because my starter was giving me problems. I asked them to look up the history and the guy said the starter I bought a year and a half ago so I told him to give me another and I will pay for it and when I bring the old one back they can refund the money because it is under a lifetime warranty. He brings out one that was the same exact starter in the picture which is not the one they sold me with the bad one. That one is the original Mitsubishi style.

You must be registered for see images

The one pictured looks like it is for the Powerstroke and not the IDI. When he told me the one that they sold me has a one year warranty and not the lifetime which he also brought out I told him Auto Zone has it for the same amount and has a lifetime warranty so I will get it from them. The one in the picture also looks like a direct drive.

I know some are using the Nippon Denso starters but the one that auto zone sold me is the Mitsubishi.

Has anyone used the one in the pic above?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
A few days ago I went to Advance auto parts because my starter was giving me problems. I asked them to look up the history and the guy said the starter I bought a year and a half ago so I told him to give me another and I will pay for it and when I bring the old one back they can refund the money because it is under a lifetime warranty. He brings out one that was the same exact starter in the picture which is not the one they sold me with the bad one. That one is the original Mitsubishi style.

You must be registered for see images

The one pictured looks like it is for the Powerstroke and not the IDI. When he told me the one that they sold me has a one year warranty and not the lifetime which he also brought out I told him Auto Zone has it for the same amount and has a lifetime warranty so I will get it from them. The one in the picture also looks like a direct drive.

I know some are using the Nippon Denso starters but the one that auto zone sold me is the Mitsubishi.

Has anyone used the one in the pic above?

I have the ND starter in my truck. Love it, nice and small too so it made it real easy to install compared to the stock long starter. Advance's catalog is full of surpises. I used to manage for them and a friend of mine still works there. I ordered a starter for a 94 E350 (NOT F, no stroke in the E in that year) and they gave me a stroke starter. It was the same starter in the applications back to 85. Clearly someone goofed.

I don't like the one thats pictured above, its direct drive. Even some of the other long starters are still gear reduction and you can see the offset in the motor to nose cone.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=474655

FYI you can buy our starters in the mitsu gear reduction style brand new by TYC and they seem to be pretty decent. The one i shoved in the E350 idi spun it over so fast i thought the motor was gonna launch out of it.

EDIT: GO Find your reciept. I am willing to bet it stays limited lifetime on it. Advance changed their warrenty policy on our starters when they changed brands. They dropped the Palladium line, for a white box 1 year special and the ******** changed their warrenty. So grab your reciept and shove it in their face. They did this to me also on a alternator i bought for a town car. Reciept says limited lifetime. Computer says 1 year now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is not direct drive, it is a planetary like a pmgr ford gasser or delco reduction. It is the other mitsu knock off, they usually work pretty good.

I prefer denso.

Black dawg

Reaction score
it is not direct drive, it is a planetary like a pmgr ford gasser or delco reduction. It is the other mitsu knock off, they usually work pretty good.

yep... And they do make a stroke version and an idi version.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ND starter in my truck. Love it, nice and small too so it made it real easy to install compared to the stock long starter. Advance's catalog is full of surpises. I used to manage for them and a friend of mine still works there. I ordered a starter for a 94 E350 (NOT F, no stroke in the E in that year) and they gave me a stroke starter. It was the same starter in the applications back to 85. Clearly someone goofed.

I don't like the one thats pictured above, its direct drive. Even some of the other long starters are still gear reduction and you can see the offset in the motor to nose cone.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=474655

FYI you can buy our starters in the mitsu gear reduction style brand new by TYC and they seem to be pretty decent. The one i shoved in the E350 idi spun it over so fast i thought the motor was gonna launch out of it.

EDIT: GO Find your reciept. I am willing to bet it stays limited lifetime on it. Advance changed their warrenty policy on our starters when they changed brands. They dropped the Palladium line, for a white box 1 year special and the ******** changed their warrenty. So grab your reciept and shove it in their face. They did this to me also on a alternator i bought for a town car. Reciept says limited lifetime. Computer says 1 year now.

Well I looked at the receipt from Advance and it says one year warranty. The one from Auto Zone is now installed and the cranking speed is like night and day. Before it was cranking like a gasser. Now it cranks over twice as fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugoo

Members online