Flexplate carnage

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks back the truck started making a nasty, rattly kinda what the heck is that sort a noise. Started out as a very slight tick and 30 miles later I wasn't sure what was going on.

Got on OB, did a little searching and decided the flexplate was the likely candidate.

What it looked like when I pulled it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

What it looked like after a gentle tap with a hammer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks OB. 1 hour of searching saved me many hours of guessing.

Bob

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does seem to be a common issue. The problem is finding a replacement. Most wrecking yards are only open M-F, 8-5pm which is rather inconvenient for us do-it youreselfers.. I pulled mine yesterday morning and drove to a yard south of Atlanta in the afternoon to pick one up. Took longer to drive there and back than it is will to R&R.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually that flexplate is no longer available anywhere. I did a nationwide search and bought the last one Ford had. I have several spares if your interested or do this.... Find any 7.3 diesel in a wrecking yard. Remove the trans and take the upgraded stamped steel flexplate with the starter gear welded to it. You will need the bolts and the crank spacer for this to replace the heavy cast iron flexplate you have now..PS... Nothing for the heavy cast iron flexplate is offered any longer... I have several spares of those too. I even have a new starter ring gear that fits those heavy cast iron flexplates. You just warm it up and knock it off and warm up the new one and set it in place....

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... Find any 7.3 diesel in a wrecking yard. Remove the trans and take the upgraded stamped steel flexplate with the starter gear welded to it. You will need the bolts and the crank spacer for this to replace the heavy cast iron flexplate you have now..

Gary, mine is a 7.3 but with the old style I guess. What year did Ford start using the stamped steel flexplate?

Thanks,
Bob

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack...

First off, can the flexplate be seen when the access plate on the bottom of the tranny is taken off?

ever since i got my truck i have heard a kind of howling noise coming from under the tranny tunnel in the cab. the noise is only really noticable when i am cruising at whatever speed and then take my foot all the way off the throttle and coast.

I now have a wierd shaking when i come to a stop. the best way i can desrcibe it is, it is like a front brake rotor is really out of round, i know it is not that though b/c i don't feel a single thing through the brake pedal.

Does these two things sound like the torque converter and or the flexplate?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Gary, mine is a 7.3 but with the old style I guess. What year did Ford start using the stamped steel flexplate?

Thanks,
Bob

Late 93 model year is when the stamped plate came out.

The early flex/flywheel can break too. The tin dish can break and do the same thing.:eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I thought the first year for the stamped steel flexplate with the gear welded to it came out in 90 or 91. My 89 had the heavy cast iron three part wheel this posting is talking about... Any Ford dealership can run a nationwide search for you. Just ask them where the part is you want.Usually its a no brainer. they do it and tell you where it is and it will cost this much in shipping to get it here for you... Do ya want it???:dunno Its really part of every parts counter persons job to find you your part if they don't have it in stock...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How do you do a nationwide search for parts?

Thanks for the info Gary

Most dealerships wont bother, they want to sell you a new truck. but if you contact www.silverstatefordparts.com , if they don't have what you are looking for, they will tell you which dealers in the country do have the things if its more cost effective for you than having them order one in from the factory ( or of there aren't any more left)

As far as searching for used parts, go to www.car-part.com and you can search all the boneyards in teh country just like the big boys ( half the time when you call one of the full service boneyards and ask for a part and they put you on hold for a while, if you tell them you want it and they tell you its going to be x amount of time before you can pick it up, what is happening is, theyhave searched the hotline and found the part for a tenth of the cost of what they are going to charge you and are going to send someone to get it from the small out of the way yard that doesn't have a big ad in the yellow pages and then you are going to pay them a premium for making a phone call and sending a guy over to pick it up. You can save a fortune by eliminating the middle man.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried green sales company? There not a ford dealer but an obsolete parts dealer. Anyone have the part numbers for the flexplate? Are the two different flexplates interchangeable?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Has anyone tried green sales company? There not a ford dealer but an obsolete parts dealer. Anyone have the part numbers for the flexplate? Are the two different flexplates interchangeable?

have a lot of money in your billfold,,when you talk to them.....they normally charge three times what the original retail was.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online