IDI swap into my dually.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm trying to sell it on Kijiji, if it doesn't sell I will put it on the stand in the shop and build a a BBF stroker down the road.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Why dont you make your F250 a dually? Then you will have the room for your wife and kids, and have a work truck all in one.
And for making the 460 a stoker engine. Not gonna happen. The EFI engines are totaly different than the carb ones. none of the parts are interchangable. heads, block, intake are all different.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The F250 is too long an doesn't turn worth a **** when plowing. The F350 turns much better and it can haul a lot more....The deck is off, let the carnage begin.:sly....I will start getting the 460 ready to come out tonight....Now that I have the Mazda I'm going to do my dump deck right after the 6.9 is done....The plow gear will wait until spring.....Now if I can just find Goofy it's go time.:D:rotflmao

You must be registered for see images attach

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two theory's on the 460 ZF - better for pulling from a stop but I wonder if first gear will be a pain when plowing - rev's too quick...:dunno....I guess I will find out next winter.:D

I won't regret selling the F250, I will still have my newly IDI powered F350 here. I have 3 little ones and I need to free up some time and money....The Mazda will do that....Don't get me wrong - I will miss the F250 but I've grown to like the versitility of the dually F350 4x4 and when it's all finished it can only be better...IDI power, plow gear and a 3 stage dump hoist....At the end of the day the F350 is more useful and for the $60/month it costs me for insurance it can sit in the driveway until it's needed....The Mazda is a daily commuter, the 350 is for bull work.;Sweet....

My uncle has expressed interest in the 250 on the condition that I do all repair work to it so it may end up 5 minutes down the road. In the hands of a diehard Ford truck man that will put it to work as only he can.:eek:....He and my grandfather are the reasons I bleed Ford blue - working with them (both were fisherman) when I was young I saw how much weight a F150 could haul...Atleast 5 ton...:rotflmao....Wet, mossy nets that were so heavy a backhoe could hardly load them on the truck - too heavy to man handle.:rolleyes:

the 460 zf is geared higher then for the diesel, if i remember correctly. i might be wrong though, but i think it is.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Goofy reporting for duty! The F250 is locked up in Dexter's gravel pit until 6 am tomorrow, Vicki has the car, so dont be surprised if I show up in this tonight...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And for making the 460 a stoker engine. Not gonna happen. The EFI engines are totaly different than the carb ones. none of the parts are interchangable. heads, block, intake are all different.

This is only 50% right, the heads, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds are different, but, the block is the same D9 casting as the 79-87 carbed engines.
The current 460 in my big truck is a 97 block, rods and pistons, 88 crank, and E6 casting '86 carbed heads. The F3 fuellie heads are actually a really nice piece, you're just stuck with either putting a carb on the fuellie lower intake(an adapter does exist) or doing some serious modifying on a carbed manifold to make the ports match up.

As for the ZF's, the gasser trans is a wide ratio unit, the diesel is a close ratio.
ZF S5-42 Close Ratio(diesel):
R: 3.79
1: 4.14
2: 2.37
3: 1.42
4: 1.00
5: 0.77

ZF S5-42 Wide Ratio(gas):
R: 5.24
1: 5.72
2: 2.94
3: 1.61
4: 1.00
5: 0.76
The S5-47 has the same gasser ratios, but the diesel is different:
Close Ratio S5-47
R: 4.66
1: 5.08
2: 2.60
3: 1.53
4: 1.0
5: 0.77

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The 460 should be out tommorow night, 75% ready to pull now....Just the trans and motor mounts left to unbolt. It appears the 87 rad will bolt right up with minor trimming of the rad support to widen the opening.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
For those who have swapped a 460 to an IDI...Did you pull the trans or leave it on the truck?....I really don't want to pull my trans if I can help it seeing as it has a t-case and PTO/pump on it.:rolleyes:....The 460 is ready to pull, I'm going to try and take it out without removing the rad support.....Probably bite me in the ass but this is how I learn my lessons.:D:rolleyes::rotflmao

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Enough waiting for help.:D....I finished the surgery and removed the 460 tonight....Team me, myself and I...LOL.....I alway's thought the release bearing in the ZF was sticking when you released the clutch - I was right...Dry as a fart and not sliding well on the input shaft....I have to get a new one tommorow.;Sweet.....Next up is to remove and install the motor mount plates and to get the 6.9 ready to go in.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had a productive night out there last night...I removed both gas tanks and the rusted out tub under the rear tank....Cleaned, rustproofed and installed the plastic rear diesel tank and the new tub....I just have to pull out the old gas lines before I run new fuel lines for the diesel. I wanted all the potential gas fire hazards gone before I started burning bolts off with the torch to install the diesel motor mounts...LOL....I got 50L of gas out of the old pig too.....bonus......I can rock on with the fuel lines and motor mounts today.

A QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE COMPLETED THIS SWAP: What should I do with my wiring for the cluster? I have the engine bay harness from the 93 IDI Goofy and I scrapped but it's not in the best shape....My truck has a lot of extra electrical in the engine bay due to being a former field service truck so getting keyed power for the engine is easy...I'm mostly concerned with having my gauges work. I bought some idoit lights for the WTS and WIF to put in the dash and I have the IDI cluster here too...A working tach would be nice as well....I'm not to keen on pulling the dash to replace the dash harness unless it's absolutely necessary....I can sacrifice the 460 harness for the gauge sender connections.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Goofy is coming out to lend a hand tonight, hopefully tommorow night I will be setting the 6.9 in the truck.;Sweet....I want to get it running so I can get it mobile as it's tying up my shop...LOL....Here is the parts pile from the 460 removal.

Here's the 6.9 getting a new pan before it goes in.....And a lather of grease to keep it rust free..:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online