IDI swap into my dually.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
So we got the new oil pan installed, the diesel motor mounts are in, Goofy deleted some extra's like the cruise control gear and the A/C....:D.....We test fit the rad - looks good.....We found one odd thing though - each exhaust manifold has a missing bolt - not broken off in the head - missing....Look like they have been gone for a while too.....I'm not having much fun with the y-pipe studs, I made a half assed attempt to get one out - no luck....That is tommorow nights project.:rolleyes:....Some heat, a welder and some luck will be needed.:D

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I still don't know how we got away with the exhaust manifold bolts missing and not broken off in the head....but I won't complain.

I should be able to come down after work tomorrow too. All I have to do is re-wire the lights on the Black Widow (1987 Western Star..it's a pretty poisonus ride, you would have to see it to understand lol) and maybe haul a few loads with the KW...not a hard day at all!

If that diesel cluster will plug into the gasser dash wiring, it should be just the matter of finding wires and putting them together.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just an update, I'm working on getting the old exhaust manifold y-pipe studs out, 1 out and one almost out - 2 left.:rolleyes:....Once that is done and I run the fuel lines it will be ready to go in.....Hopefully it will make some noise this weekend. I have 3 Sunpro electric gauges coming tommorow for my pillar pod, I will hook those up and and frig with the dash later.;Sweet....I'm putting all new 1-O battery cables in the truck too.:sly

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
When I get off work tonight, I should be free to come down and give you a hand running the lines and dropping the new power under the hood. I was looking at my hood and rad and I think it will clear just fine. It is coming along pretty fast!

That big highway job just blew wide open today, so we need both dump trucks operational. 7 days a week apparently? I am off to the pit until it rains to get some gear fixed.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Cool, I would like to hear it fire up this weekend so we can put it outside and get the dump deck stuff started next week....I have to get a plug put in for my stick welder and pick up some steel.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 85 motor was missing those exact bolts when I pulled it out of a parts truck,

Maybe it was a bad day at the factory.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Wierd huh?....My heart sunk when I first saw it until I grabbed a flashlight....Goofy was in disbelief that the bolts were just missing and not broken.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I picked up my 3 Sunpro gauges yesterday, purdy.;Sweet....I managed to get two more y-pipe bolts out last night, just one left. With any luck I will be setting the 6.9 in the truck tommorow :D...Hopefully making noise Sunday or Monday.:sly

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 is missing what I think is the same bolt on the drivers side. I had to take the manifold off to replace the studs, and there is no way that the hole would line up to put it back in. My thinking is the manifold must have shrunk a bit.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I managed to get the last y-pipe stud out and I cleaned/tapped the 2 missing exhaust manifold bolt holes before I installed 2 new bolts.;Sweet.....I also installed the sending units for my new water temp and oil pressure pillar gauges....She's ready to go in.:D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
SNAAAAAG!.:rolleyes:......-cuss......Dad came out to give me a hand to install the 6.9, we got it hanging from the cherry picker, I put the flywheel on it and torqued it up....Pulled my new clutch disc out of the box and I cursed immediately.....:mad:.....I'm my haste to get back to work the other day during my lunch break I didn't notice that the clutch disc had no springs - for a DMF.-cuss.....So today was a bust, I managed to get the correct part number for the same disc with the springs so I have to find one on Monday. We didn't waste the afternoon, we removed some more crap I didn't need and I started to run my new fuel lines and etc....I could have made some smoke tommorow too.:rolleyes:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I made a junk yard run this morning with Goofy for some odd's and ends like a new fan and vacuum pressure switch for my dash light. The diesel swap should be complete this week with any good luck.....LOL....I'm going to keep working on it tonight, I'll finish the fuel lines and run some wiring for the pillar gauges.