R12 Freon???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As I was finishing up mt truck I was adding R12 freon and after 3 cans were in it was not cooling very well. I added the forth can and now it works like long ago .it will freeze you out of the crewcab. I usually run the AC year round and add heat in the California winter time. I like the dry air in the cab. So, how much freon is required in our trucks system. I thought it was 3 cans commonly called 3 lbs. Each can reads 12 oz. contents.. Thanks guys

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You wont generally get 12 oz out of a 12 oz can either. As system pressure builds, it takes more pressure to push it out of the can. Not sure as to system capacity as I don't have air, just pointing out that some is generally lost.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
krawlr said:
'92=44oz
'91-'84=48oz
'83=54oz

I didn't even know you could get R12 anymore. :confused:

You can, with a licence. I belive that is what they use on home a/c

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
You can, with a licence. I belive that is what they use on home a/c

Nope, R22 is what most home units use but they are changing it as well!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
If im not mistaken, 16oz is one pound. So 4 cans would be 3 lbs, not 3 cans.

16oz X 3cans = 48oz

12oz X 4cans = 48oz

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
When you are putting in refrigerant from the small cans place the can in a pan of hot water and you will get most all of the contents into your system.

Jim

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
jauguston said:
When you are putting in refrigerant from the small cans place the can in a pan of hot water and you will get most all of the contents into your system.

Jim

Yep, that will work as well, but your only going to get it out until the pressure in the system is equal to the pressure in the can. Pulling a vacuum will help as well, but only on the first can or two. Good idea though, warming the can raises the pressure so more goes into the system. I use 30lb'ers most of the time, so it is not an issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I did pull a vacuum on the system and it help about 27 lbs for 30 minutes so no leaks in the system. I do warm up the cans and I have always been told that the 12 oz cans are 1 lb of freon. I know 1 lb of gold equals 16 oz in the standard measureing system. I do understand the 3 12 oz cans compared to the 4 12 oz cans equaling the proper charge too. I got my license from IMACA so Now I buy it off Ebay or where ever I find it for less than $10.00 per can. I made my vacuum pump from a refrigerator pump compressor. Just weld on the proper fitting and it pulls 27 to 28 inches of vavuum. Any freezer, water cooler or refrig comperssor will work fine. Cheap too.

PnrFab

Reaction score
what about oil, how much do these trucks take if you are starting with a complete empty system that you flushed? 4oz? or....

-josh

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil

PnrFab said:
what about oil, how much do these trucks take if you are starting with a complete empty system that you flushed? 4oz? or....

-josh
When I put a dryer and compressor, I put 8 oz oil after 6 in the compressor and 2 in the dryer.
John

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford specification manual says 10 ounces in a dry system. I like to put the bulk of it in the compressor and give it a couple turns. Dump some in the new filter dryer and another mouthful down the tube before you install the new orifice tube. It eventually cycles and spreads all around but I don't know how long it takes. Good luck, Doug

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember gold is scaled in troy ounces & runs 12 troy ounces per pound you can send the left over 4 troy's here for safe disposal

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dbensen said:
The Ford specification manual says 10 ounces in a dry system. I like to put the bulk of it in the compressor and give it a couple turns. Dump some in the new filter dryer and another mouthful down the tube before you install the new orifice tube. It eventually cycles and spreads all around but I don't know how long it takes. Good luck, Doug

The Snow Miser has spoken! :D