Will this tranny work?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You may have something that will work but... The torque converter will have 6 mounting holes where the 6.9 or 7.3 idi converter has only 4. Also the solenoid pack might be changeable to the idi type.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Is there a thread or place that has a list of transmissions that will directly bolt up? I just really need overdrive and for the price that one cant be beat. Also will there be any problems since its from a 2WD and my truck is 4x4?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If thats a good running E4OD from 1996, then its a steal.

It is however a 2wd, so right away that won't work in a 4wd. 1996 uses a single PCM for engine and transmission, so thats out. Yes, the torque converter will have 6 bolts, but I was able to use my C6 flex plate by spacing the transmission off by about 1/8".

Something else that needs to me mentioned and tends to be overlooked is the starter ring (sometimes called adaptor plate). This cast iron plate between the transmission and the engine block is different between the IDIs and the power strokes. From what I can tell, the powerstroke plate is compatible on the IDIs, but you can't use the IDI plate on a powerstroke transmission. You need matching plate and transmission for a bolt up job.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are we sure it is for the diesel?

Looking at the front of the bell housing I can vaugely make out what looks to be a thick cast iron plate between transmission and engine block. If this is true, then it is indeed a diesel transmission. Some clearer photos of that area would help confirm this.

Also some photos from around the starter to see if there are any bolts that go into the bell housing from the starter would help ID a diesel tranny. Its also still in the frame so its possible its still bolted up to the engine. That might just be the dead give away.

Good luck guys, this would be a good find at that price.;Sweet

71cc

Reaction score
Something else that needs to me mentioned and tends to be overlooked is the starter ring (sometimes called adaptor plate). This cast iron plate between the transmission and the engine block is different between the IDIs and the power strokes. From what I can tell, the powerstroke plate is compatible on the IDIs, but you can't use the IDI plate on a powerstroke transmission. You need matching plate and transmission for a bolt up job.

Please elaborate here.. I have a 95 e4od (powerstroke) bolted up to a 91 model 7.3 and adapter plate. I haven't replaced the 6 lug converter(that came with the trans) with the 4 lug needed to bolt on the 7.3 flexplate. What is the difference in the plates? Are you saying the mounting depth is different?

Last edited by a moderator:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the depth of the torque converter offset to be different between the C6 and the E4OD, but the bolt circle matched perfectly. The offset on the E4OD was ~1", the C6 was closer to 1.25. This is just what I measured myself, I don't know what the official specs call for.

Regarding the adaptor plate. I'm trying to find some images that show what I am talking about, but this isn't a part that normally gets googled. I'll try and describe...

The older IDI diesels have bell housing bolt pattern that consists of 6 bolts (same as later in that respect). The 4 lower bolts go directly through the adaptor plate and thread into the engine block.

The upper 2 bolts on the engine block are used only to hold the plate against the engine block.

The upper 2 bolts for the transmission bell housing thread into the adaptor plate ABOVE the upper 2 engine bolt locations. In other words, the older IDI style adaptor plate allows for a larger bell housing for some reason. I have no idea what this reason is because this offset is eliminated on later powerstrokes and thats what I'm trying to warn about.

On later powerstrokes, the upper 2 bolt locations on the engine block and bell housing are one and the same, so the later powerstroke adaptor plates are not as tall, and those era of E4OD bell housings are sized to match the new style. From what I understand, the 2 different styles of adaptor plates and bell housings will not interchange, however if they are kept together (same era tranny with same era plate), they can be used on older IDIs.

I personally saw this on a 1995 powerstroke with 5 speed. The adaptor plate was only spacing off the transmission by it's own thickness, it did not change the bolt pattern of the engine block and all the bolts went clean through the plate while only threading directly into the block. I don't know the exact year of the change over, but it seems that it happened after the powerstroke engine was introduced. I can't be sure, but it might have something to do with the 7.5L being phased out. Bottom line is there are 2 different adaptor plates among the IDIs and early powerstrokes.

I hope that makes sense and I'll see if I can locate some images of the different adaptor plate designes used on the IDIs verses the later powerstrokes.

If you got the transmission to bolt up, then you have nothing to worry about unless the torque converter is stiff against the flex plate like it originally was in my case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online