vibration from tail shaft bushing

itsfred

Reaction score
anyone changed a tailshaft bushing in a e4od before?
noticed a vibration 35-45 mph crawled under the truck and found a sloppy tailshaft bushing. 1st is it sevicable? 2nd do i need any special tools? i have changed them in other cars before wondering if the e4od was any different?
thanks in advance
fred

pafixitman

Reaction score
No, yes, depends, don't know.

Just changed the seal in mine w/o changing the bushing - still leaks. Ford had a tool to remove / install the bushing in truck. Towcat recommended removing the housing and changing it on a bench w/ regular tools. That way I can be sure that the bushing goes in straight.

I just bought a used extension housing off of the 'bay. I will go through it and then be able to "plug and play" and not have the truck down.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Its a brass bushing. Take the tailshaft off and have the old one pressed out, new one pressed in.
I have done it by forcing the old one out with a screw driver and a BFH.
Then used a piece of wood and the same BFH to beat the new one in. 2muchwrk

olivera149

Reaction score
towards the end of july i was looking into it, but decided to bring it to the transmission shop that is reputable here and he installed a grounding strap from the frame to the transmission, said ford released a TSB about a bad ground causing premature failure to the bushing. I have a 2wd, but i'm sure the TSB is applicable to the 4wd too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner