Typical home-brewed bio gel point

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what kind of temps home brew can handle without gelling up? And will standard anti-gel additives (PowerService 911 for example) work OK with home brewed bio?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I started using wmo I did a little testing with veggie oil off the shelf or svo (straight veg oil). Leaving a sample outside in about 40-30 F weather it started getting cloudy.
I did a lot of reading about guys that made a third fuel tank, that was heated and selector switches and so forth, to run the wvo.
Another little catch with wvo or bio diesel it's very corrosive to about everything. Aluminum, stainless steel and maybe some special plastic tanks would be the only kind of tanks that wouldn't give you problems over time.
I think biodiesel or veg oil without the fat will be a little better but not much.
I have seen guys have a lot of trouble with semi tractor tanks (150 gals +/-) of 5% bio diesel mix in cold weather.
Any of the fuel additives should work ok, or mix in ok, but you'd probably need a lot.
I'm not trying to say don't do it but colder weather and veg oil sometimes don't work real well. One of the reasons I'm running wmo now I figured motor oil is a little easier to deal with in the winter, and not as corrosive.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not running - and not interested in running - any WVO. What I am running is home-made B100 - 100% biodiesel. So far temps down to 34 degrees have been no problem, but I'm wondering how much colder it can get before I start having issues.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have run b50 in various diesels in the middle of winter with no issues...but I wouldn't go any more during that cold....but no problem in the warmer months of course.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I had a site linked some where with a test of B100 and anti-gel and some other stuff. It sold me just use some #2 fuel and Power service and B100 and drive.....

wmoguy

Reaction score
I ran b100 in an LMM duramax without issue year round. That's Colorado year round..

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run b50 in various diesels in the middle of winter with no issues...but I wouldn't go any more during that cold....but no problem in the warmer months of course.

You didn't mention anything about temps... Middle of winter could mean 40 degrees or it could mean -20 degrees.

More details please...

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran b100 in an LMM duramax without issue year round. That's Colorado year round..

What part of CO? Like the previous poster, as far as I know, that could mean 20 degrees, or zero degrees, or 30 below - depending on where in CO....

More specifics please...

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...just use some #2 fuel and Power service and B100 and drive.....
That sounds good, but how much #2 are you mixing with your B100? Are you ending up with B90, B70, B50? or what?
Why is everyone being so vague?

wmoguy

Reaction score
What part of CO? Like the previous poster, as far as I know, that could mean 20 degrees, or zero degrees, or 30 below - depending on where in CO....

More specifics please...

Northern Colorado. It's 12 degrees out this morning for example...

wmoguy

Reaction score
So B100 is good down to 12 degrees. Excellent data point. Is that home brew or commercial B100? No addatives, right?

Eh, one critical factor I left out you might find critical is this pickup was garage kept (non heated garage, but certainly warmer than exterior temps) and when not at home it was plugged in (just the OEM block heater)

It was pseudo commercial grade fuel. Meaning, the guy I was buying it from did it commercially, but he didn't have a bricks and mortar fuel station (nor did he have all the required permits, etc.. to do it legit) I think he is no longer in business, this maybe the reason (not fully legit) I used to buy his fuel in 55 gallon drums delivered to me from Denver for roughly $1.50 less than diesel at the pump was going for. I generally burned 2-3 barrells a month. He did have some form of processing method he used in the winter months that he said made a big difference in the winter fuel. If you search youtube for "Horizon Biodesel Artic Blend B100" or something like that you should find him. He had an old Chevy IDI van and a Super Duty 7.3 PSD that ran his fuel year round too. If you google him he's got some smears/negative publicity on him, however I never had issue with the guy or his fuel and found him to be an OK guy.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
That sounds good, but how much #2 are you mixing with your B100? Are you ending up with B90, B70, B50? or what?
Why is everyone being so vague?
Not trying to be vague, just a quick response, just mix the power service to directions, i'm running a 50/50 winter and 80/20 summer. but my avg temps are not that low. 59 right now;Really

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be vague, just a quick response, just mix the power service to directions, i'm running a 50/50 winter and 80/20 summer. but my avg temps are not that low. 59 right now;Really

WOW! Adding PS to B50 @ 59 degrees ambient temps? You're being REALLY cautious, huh?

Like I said I've been running home brew B100 at temps in the low 30's and haven't even added anything to it yet - though I think I better pretty soon...

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some PowerService in the white bottle last night and have already added 8 ounces to my 20 gallon tank. Just a hair "richer" mix than the instructions call for (8 ounces for 25 gallons fuel). The bottle says it is good for up to B20 blends, but I suspect that is just their CYA - the same way the vehicle manufacturers CYA by saying you can only use B5 in the newer diesels without affecting the warranty.

The bottle also says that it will lower the gell point of #2 "up to 36 degrees". I figure if it will do that with #2, then with B100 it should do at least half of that. With normal winter temps in the low 30's adding the PS ought to prevent gelling down into the teens - temps that are almost unheard of in this neck of the woods.

I think I'm going to tap a couple of jars worth off my storage tank, treat one of them with PS, and toss them both in the freezer to see what happens. I kinda doubt that my freezer will get cold enough to make anything happen, but I guess we'll see...