Those of you with 95 - 97 yr trucks

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Have any of you changed out your downpipe to a real downpipe?

The truck I was talking about earlier that my buddy has is a 95 and its got that smooshed up thing that Ford put in... I have the old downpipe out of my truck that I told him he could have and that we should try putting it in sometime....

The only problem is the amount of room in there... It was tight as hell when we had to pull the thing to change the clutch... and thats with that flat thing...

Any hints, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DM,

Its really not a huge job.

Things you'll need:

• Sawzall with 9" demolition blade
  • Porta power with duckbill is nice but not mandatory
  • Jack
  • Jackstands
  • If no portapower, long prybar and block of wood
  • one good friend
  • at least a 12 pack:D

Jack the truck up and get it up on jackstands, its just easier to work under there with the extra room (youll need it later on). Unbolt the cat and get it out of there (place in trash if possible). Next, remove the insulation from the old DP (save for later) and remove the Tranny Dipstick tube, its bolted to the back of the head and is kind of a bearcat. Now take the sawzall and reach up (from below the truck) as high as you can and make a cut through the old DP. This can be a *****. Be careful not to cut into tranny (ask me how I know:D ) Once the cut is made you can remove the lower half of the DP, go under hood and unbolt the clamp that holds the DP to the turbo, pull remaining half out through hood area. Now if you have the porta power you can begin "modifying" the fire wall. Just have your buddy place the bill where it needs to expand and pump it up, do this in several locations and try to slide the new DP in and go by trial and error. If you dont have the porta power this is where the short 2x4 and pry bar come in to play. Lay the 2x4 on the upper bell housing/back of head area and put the pry bar on it and bend the pinch weld out of the way, I actually trimmed the pinch weld with the sawzall and used the prybar to make enough room for the new DP. Once you have made enough room (at least 1/4 inch between DP and firewall) then slide the new DP in for its final resting place. Install the turbo clamp, hook up your tail pipe assy, get the trans dipstick back in, let her down off the jack stands and go for a test drive to make sure the DP isnt contacting the firewall when the motor rolls over (you'll know if it is by the unnerving growl through the floorboards). Go back to the garage and commence to finishing off the 12 pack that was part of the original "must have" list.
I re-used a piece of the original insulation from the factory DP and trimmed it and wrapped it around the new DP where it goes by the tranny. Most say this isnt needed but I did it. You can see my DP install pics in "MY PICS" in my sig.

Good luck and dont hesitate to ask if you need more info.

Mike

Last edited:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks for the reply....

I guess it now comes down to just doing it... Is your new downpipe a specific one for your year or did you just buy someones leftover from a upgrade?

I hope the one out of my early 99 will work in his.

Dave

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I didnt realize you were sticking the 99+ DP in there, you better make sure that the thing will fit. I bought mine from Mark at DPPI. Its a two piece unit and I think it was like 120 clams?

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieselmaster
Have any of you changed out your downpipe to a real downpipe?

I did. I have the DPPI aluminized downpipe too. It fit just fine although you will need to follow Mikes procedures. It's a two part down pipe which uses an accu-seal clamp and has the flange bolts welded for a proper fit. It's one of the most popular ones used by the 94-97 crowd at TDS although there are others available that fit just fine. I agree with Mike that you should be darn sure that yours will fit our year truck because I have a feeling it won't.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online