swaping gaser for 12valve

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
I got and old 89 gaser and I WANT TO SWAP IT OUT AND PUT IN A 12 VALVE. how much would it cost to do so and is there a kit to do it:frustrate

edward.tabor

Reaction score
Rising Sun, MD (where MD, DE, and PA join on the m
BBG,
I hate to bust your bubble but the diesels have way more torque than the gassers. WSill the driveline hold up to this (tranny, driveshaft, rears). Will the front end hold the added weight of the engine (CTD is much heavier then a gasser.) I'm afraid that, once the adding and subtracting is done, the swap won't be feasible.

Ed

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
the truck is a 250 4x4 with heavy springs under it and I was planing on swaping the trans. to. but the cost and finding kit to swap eveything out are the two thingsthat will make or brake this little hobby :( just wanted a project to play with on my days off work but I still have to work on a budget:Q

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Does your truck have the full crossmember under the engine? If not, I'd bet the Cummins will jerk down your frame rails, if you play hard. There goes the fan, and shroud, maybe worse.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Originally posted by edward.tabor
BBG,
I hate to bust your bubble but the diesels have way more torque than the gassers. WSill the driveline hold up to this (tranny, driveshaft, rears). Will the front end hold the added weight of the engine (CTD is much heavier then a gasser.) I'm afraid that, once the adding and subtracting is done, the swap won't be feasible.

Ed

What in the hell are you talkin about not feasible. All Dodges were built with the same parts for the most part. Yes you will have to change the rearend when you start pushin up the HP and thrashin on it and yes you will need an NV4500. These are needed to be changed on the early Dodges anyway because the Cummins was harder on them then they thought it would be. Bottom line it can be done and wont be that hard. If I was you I would look for a wrecked first generation.

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what you find out as well. I have a 12V project in the brainstorming phase at the moment as well. I'm about to ask my customers to watch pricing for good running, yet beat up bodied 12V 4x4's at the dealers auctions. I'm going to keep the motor/axles/tranny/transfer case and scrap the rest.

Good luck on your project.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by edward.tabor
I'm afraid that, once the adding and subtracting is done, the swap won't be feasible.
Ignore him Goat,,,He drinks;)

You can make a 12V fit in what ever you want.
Some conversions will be harder than others,
but that's half the challenge :cool
It's not like your trying to place it in a Samauri.
Hummm,,,,,, A 500hp Suzuki:D :D
I guess that would be a little safer than
a 500hp bar stool:eek:

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
I read over on TDR that a guy put a Cummins in a S-10 with all stock drivetrain and expects it to hold. He was wanting to change injectors, turbo and modify the pump! :eek:

What a freakin idiot! I had a Crew Cab long bed with a Dana 70 under the rear and I thrashed it and 6 trannies before pullin her apart! That is a heavy ass engine I will give you that, beant my Cherry Picker!:D

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by dazedandconfused
I read over on TDR that a guy put a Cummins in a S-10

What ever happened to him and his project?
Haven't heard how it turned out, if it even got finished.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
I dont know. I'm not registered over thier because of the fee! I just happened to come across it when i was surfing the web one day! Did you get yours done yet?

rubberfish

Reaction score
If all goes well this weekend, it may be running sat night.
Won't be able to drive it till next week though.
I don't think the 2 shafts will be back by then from getting lengthened and shortened.
It'll be on the road by the middle of the week, I hope:D

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
my 12 V. plans is on hold for now the funds are running a little low but someday I hope to get'er done. I've still got 6 more years before the little goat gets his drivers license:eek: