Starter solenoid going??

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start my truck yesterday and after letting the glowplugs cycle once turned the key until it almost started, but I released the key before it caught. So I turned the key to cycle the glowplugs again and after the light went out turned the key and ....nothing...just a click. Tried turning it again and nothing just a click. Waited a couple minutes and tried again and it started right up. It has never done this before and it was obviously an electrical problem. Is this the starter solenoid mounted on the passenger side engine compartment finally dying?? It looks to be Motorcraft original.

Thanks

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it ever completely quits working you can cross it with a screwdriver to start it and if it works by crossing it and not with the key then its definitely bad. I think they are 15-20.00 Mine is on its way out I just haven't got around to it yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe but it also could be the strater solenoid on the starter too. How old is the starter and... Have you been cranking slowly lately.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter is original and Mitsubishi I'm pretty sure, but I haven't noticed any slow cranking with it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Ill let the plugs cycle and hit the key and right before/as it starts the starter let's out a gear grinding sound. I took it apart a few monts ago to clean out the mud and clean the contacts and it starts faster than it ever has, it was great for about 2 months till it started that grinding. It'll start after it grinds, sometimes it doesn't but as soon as I hit the key again it lights right off. Any ideas?

Thanks
-Jon

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your starter relay!

And you better have some battery shut offs hooked up or be quick at pulling the terminals off!

My starter relay went out once and even with the key out of the truck it was still cranking, damn near killed my starter and set my truck on fire, only way to shut it off was to pull the battery terminals.

After that happened I got some batter shut off switches, ever happens again all I have to do a turn a knob.

Just something to keep in mind.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same symptoms as yours. When I turned it in on another one under warranty they of course had to test the one I brought to them. The armature was hardly turning and it pegged the scale on what it was drawing for current on the tester. You starter is on it's way out. The way it is now it could last a few weeks or it could last a few days. Better get a replacement even if you don't have the time to deal with it now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually a grinding starter is not caused by the solenoids nor the starter... Its caused by thw worn teeth on the flexplate or flywheel. These motors start ans stop on one of three locations on the plate or wheel. Those gear teeth wear out and the starter grinds. Its time for a new gear or plate. Nappa sells the gear and is easy yo install. Heat up the old and remove. Heat up the new and install. On the older heavy cast iron flexplates you can do this. Not so on the newer welded steel flexplates. The standard trans trucks are easy too. They just heat up and drop off. I was able to remove mine and clock it around till new teeth were in the three areas. Worked fine till those wore off. Then I installed a BTS E4OD ...:sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Usually a grinding starter is not caused by the solenoids nor the starter... Its caused by thw worn teeth on the flexplate or flywheel. These motors start ans stop on one of three locations on the plate or wheel. Those gear teeth wear out and the starter grinds. Its time for a new gear or plate. Nappa sells the gear and is easy yo install. Heat up the old and remove. Heat up the new and install. On the older heavy cast iron flexplates you can do this. Not so on the newer welded steel flexplates. The standard trans trucks are easy too. They just heat up and drop off. I was able to remove mine and clock it around till new teeth were in the three areas. Worked fine till those wore off. Then I installed a BTS E4OD ...:sly

thanks for the tip....:puke: i have a flywheel turner, i'll pull the cover and check it out!

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online