New Car Oil Change Interval

OutofOrder

Reaction score
Does the first oil change on a brand new car need to be done at a sooner interval, say 1500-2000 miles?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When ever I rebuild a engine I did the first oil change at 500 miles, then I would start the 3k routine - with todays oils I know that the car manufacturers are calling for longer intervals in the 5-7k Range - so yep I would do one early then start following what's in the owners manual for intervals.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I would and do go 1k on the first oil. Then go to 4k or 5k all on dino then switch to synthetics and never look back. ;Sweet

Last edited:

OutofOrder

Reaction score
The lady bought a bright silver metallic 2009 Jeep Liberty with the sky slider roof and tow package. She wanted a small suv and and loved the look of the liberty and HUGE sunroof.... The salesman told us when using the towing feature on the vehicle (activating the tow button) we should have the jeep in 4wd low. I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet as the lady keeps hogging it, but I've never, EVER heard of towing in 4wd low. I know this isn't a towing thread, but didn't feel like starting a new thread. Appreciate y'alls input.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
Also, can I get your thoughts on the early initial change. Salesman said we didn't need to do it, but on the other hand he's a salesman, not a mechanic.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the four low to tow..... thats a load of crap.

On the OCI for a new vehicle that has a factory warranty I would follow the manufacturers recommended specifications to the letter. Pop open the owners manual and see what it says.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
As far as the four low to tow..... thats a load of crap.

On the OCI for a new vehicle that has a factory warranty I would follow the manufacturers recommended specifications to the letter. Pop open the owners manual and see what it says.

I wouldn't follow the OEM recomendations to the letter on your first one. I am old school and believe that an early oil change to get the metal particles out from engine building is something that can't hurt you or your warranty one bit. No OEM will void your warranty from changing oil early. One other way to grab that metal is run a FilterMag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online