Make your own Bio-Diesel?

Jumper

Reaction score
Someone told me that you can make your own bio-diesel. Is that true? How do you do it? I guess it probably cost a lot for the equipment.

rvassar

Reaction score
You can whip up a batch in your kitchen blender if you want to. I wouldn't use the blender for anything else afterwards. Scaling up the operation isn't hard, but you have to have a good healthy fear of the chemicals involved. They're moderately hazardous household chemicals by themselves, but when mixed, they're quite dangerous.

Rob

justdiesel

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jumper
Someone told me that you can make your own bio-diesel. Is that true?

Absolutely.

How do you do it?

It's actually quite easy. In general check out http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

For your first few batches see: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=447609751&f=719605551&m=857600061

Roughly speaking, you need to get vegetable oil, methanol and lye (Red Devil drain cleaner) and mix them together. Presumably you already know that methanol (wood alcohol) and lye are dangerous but when mixed together produce a product that is more dangerous. You should read about making biodiesel before trying it.

I guess it probably cost a lot for the equipment.

Not at all. It should only cost you a few bucks to make some small batches and you can mix in a 2 liter soda pop bottle. I make it in 5 gallon pails which cost me nothing. The biodiesel I make costs about $0.50 a gallon but with cheaper methanol I should be able to get it closer to $0.25/gallon.

good luck.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just diesel... are you running it in your truck.... ??? and what brand truck? Filters?:thanks:

justdiesel

Reaction score
I have an 83 GMC 2500, yes I am running it on biodiesel. I am using a stock fuel filter, from NAPA. In fact I have never read of fuel filters (or any other filter) being and issue with biodiesel. Now if we are talking about waste vegetable oil, a stock filter can plug up fairly quickly and, as I understand it, some people are using filters with a larger micron rating. Personally I don't think that is a good idea. (For some people absolutely free fuel is hard to resist though.)

murfman

Reaction score
I got the book " From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank" I am wanting to jump in on this, I heard rumors of 3.00 Gas this summer, I'll brew my own and buy my wife a Beetle TDI with the money I save :D

The Feds can kiss my:moon: with their road taxes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online