In need of a frame width measurement

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been fighting with alignment issues on my truck, endlessly chasing the frame gremlins around. There’s nobody to blame but myself though, as my ‘84 F250 4x4 now has a 4” lift, 37” BFG Bajas, and the best high performance bolt on item I’ve ever found in the junkyard: Saginaw power steering pump. There’s nothing like going from people watching you vigorously wrestling with your steering wheel in a parking lot - not to mention the humiliating whiiiiiiine - on a stock truck, to steering 37” tires with your pinky lock to lock as fast as you can possibly turn the wheel, silently, even while idling. At a dead stop. Best $16 I’ve ever spent. Or so I thought...
That massive increase in force from the box along with the massive increase in resistance from the large tires, not to mention the leverage I’ve given it by installing TTB pivot drops for the lift, has been wreaking some serious havoc on everything in front of the firewall.
Now I know the best solution is a Dana 60 swap, perhaps even with hydro assist to make it that much sweeter, but I’m not going to take that road with this truck just yet. Eventually, once other projects are done. Plus, my frame is so racked, twisted, and pleading for help that I’m sure I’ll still be fighting to make my truck drive straight for more than a week at a time like I have been.
So I’m planning on forcing things back into their places and doing some serious bracing. I already took care of the infamous loose frame rivets awhile back. It Helped but it wasn’t the only issue.
I’m already at it right now as I write this. Welder is setup, cold ones are cracked, and steel tubing is ready to get cut to length. ... but wait, what length?!?! That’s when the lightbulb lit up and I’m here hoping someone has a straight frame that can help me out.
Anyhow, I’m going to tackle this one step at a time so it doesn’t have any down time except when I’m working on it. Starting at the front of the frame horns, can anyone give me the inside dimension of their frame from this point side to side:
You must be registered for see images

That doesn’t have one shackle that looks like this (this is in the best position it gets, whenever it feels like it. It’s often worse.)

I’ll leave it at just that for now so I can get started. I’ll ask for the next dimension once I figure out where exactly it needs it. The pivot brackets are an obvious problem but I am still brainstorming a design, and whether or not to brace them or rebuild them. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online