If you trailer a race car, dragster, or puller read this!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well thats how it should be.those of us that transport cars for a living have to follow the DOT rules so why shouldnt racers?

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because us drag racers don't do this every day like a over the road 18 wheeler. Simple. If you work another job full or part time and race and haul on the weekends or close to it, why should you be considered a commercial "for hire" vehicle combination. Lets start by pulling every RV and motor home over at every scale house and check out those retired drivers for their abilities too. This kinda thing really ****** me off. Just one more little chisel mark in the stone of our freedoms.

RustyJC

Reaction score
cdennyb said:
If you work another job full or part time and race and haul on the weekends or close to it, why should you be considered a commercial "for hire" vehicle combination. Lets start by pulling every RV and motor home over at every scale house and check out those retired drivers for their abilities too.
The interpretation is, "If you run for prize money, you're commercial." RVers aren't in that category, by and large, although those who go from trade show to trade show might be.

Rusty

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cdennyb said:
because us drag racers don't do this every day like a over the road 18 wheeler.

im not an over the road 18 wheeler either.i run a little 2wd 94 superduty 2 car carrier that has a car on it maybe 3 times a day and most of them are going to my shop to be repaired.i still have to comply with the dot rules even though my truck is registered and insured for personal use,not commercial

FLRin29

VIRUS FREE!
Reaction score
No,drivers who operate within a 100 mile radius of their base of operations,do not need to Log.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we dont need the logbooks but we need everything else.if you seen some of thetickets they write us youd have a heart attack.oil leaks,our trucks get a pretty bright orange"OUT OF SERVICE" sticker and then it gets towed,registration revoked untillthe leak is fixed and reinspected by the DOT officer.tow a junk car to the junk yard with a wrecker instead of a flat bed they pull you over take the car,give you a ticket for operateing an unregistered,uninsured motor vehicle unless you have repair plates.andon top of the ticket you get to pay for the tow and storage on the car you had.please explain how you are operating a vehicle that atched to the back of your truck not running when the truck is insured and registered?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
So basically forget the logbook, but you need to do the physical and carry the proper supplies and info? I think for a lot of people the logbook would be the big issue although not hard to keep. Well, the turn your head and cough part isn't too attractive either :love: :puke:
James

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here's the difference in basic terms.
1- I don't unload my stuff and leave it where I race. I load it back up, and haul it some more. (Kinda like camping equipt., go camping, unload your trailer, play with the quad runners, load it all back up, go home.)
2- Nothin' on or in my trailer belongs to someone else, (the bank or finance co maybe!) it's mine.
3- Nobody pays me to haul our race car and all our stuff to a track and they don't control which track we go to, therefor the destination. I choose to haul it to the track myself, depending whether or not it fits our schedule of other things, like work.
4- real Race cars (our top alcohol dragster) don't need street registration or plates so we're towing a trailer behnd our dually. Hardly commercial. Maybe borderline crazy, but not commercial like a 18-wheeler.
5- We don't drive on a yearly basislike 18-wheelers, sometimes my dually is hooked up to a ski boat or maybe it's got a load of crap in it going to the landfill, hardly a commercial venture.
6- Since I don't earn my living from this type of activity, like an "over the road" driver does, sitting in that rig for better or worse, thru good weather and bad, dealing with the scales, cops, DOT, insurance agents, lumpers, and the assorted mess of lot lizards along the way, I shouldn't have to conform to their regulations. (meaning no scales, no DOT inspections, no log books, no other crap) I can understand the medical card, the Class A license, the current vehicle licensing etc. but I draw the line at "wanna be diesel truck" ststus crap.

RustyJC

Reaction score
If you earn money (not necessarily make your primary income) with what's on/in the trailer, it's a commercial enterprise. No different than a landscaping service or the self-employed guy hauling a backhoe. RVers by and large don't earn money with their RVs.

I'm not saying I agree with it - I'm just saying that's how some states are interpreting the situation.

Rusty

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A solution might be to have the track pay any winnings to a charity and thus, no pay for your winning. I think this whole thing is big govt. looking for another way to harass the people they were hired to serve. JMOHO
Jim

MMeier

Reaction score
Just wait till 01/07, supposed to be a whole new mess of rules and regs coming out pertaining to people who tow basically anything. :rolleyes:

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have been dipped and weighed by dot in PA they are ****** to say the least....
I usually tow my rock crawler in the warm months and the snowmobiles in the winter... But my dad wanted me to take his two muscle cars up to michigan for a big car show so we borrowed his buddy 2 place car trailer (enclosed).
Well I was over weight and had to remaove one of the cars. Plus a fine but soon as we got up the road alittle bit we loaded back up unscathed the rest of the trip....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.