got a problem need help

aaklingler

Reaction score
On my 96 when I hook up to either of my trailers when I press the brake pedal the truck will shut off, if I pick up the rpms it will cut in and out, if I turn the controller up it will get worse. It won't do it with the turn signals and it won't do it when I pull the controller by hand. Whats going on?
Thanks,
Allen

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it dont make sense. start by checking all grounds and connections. I find this works on most electrical gremlins.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I changed controllers and still doesn't it sometimes, I guess I'll check grounds and connections.

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the trailer connector at the truck and trailer for good grounds and connections

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like it might have something to do w/ the sense wire going to the controller. The one that is hooked up to the brake lights that tells the controller you are braking....

And as stated, check the ground wire on the controller. Maybe it's trying to ground itself through another wire that it's not suppose to....

Did the 96 start using the factory tow harness system? If so, is your tow wiring factory or user installed?

aaklingler

Reaction score
All the wiring looks to be factory except the controller. What might be wrong with the sense wire?

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... was grasping at stuff.... The controller works fine in manual mode, but acts up when you use it 'normally'.

Lets start w/ the basics. How old is your battery? What voltage is the alternator when it's at idle? It seems like an the extra "draw" from brake lights wouldn't be THAT much....

As stated by Al_E.... check grounds. Start at the battery and just work your way back. Check your plug on the truck. On mine, my parking lights light up when I hit the brakes (never use to). I'm guessing something got corroded back there when I played in the mud and might be crossing over from the brake, brake lights to the markers. I have yet to change mine.....

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Oh NOOooooo! You hooked the brake controller to the Jake wiring.:rotflmao

Just kidding.

Honestly, I have nothing useful to contribute, but I just couldn't stop myself.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh NOOooooo! You hooked the brake controller to the Jake wiring.:rotflmao

Just kidding.

Honestly, I have nothing useful to contribute, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Damn it! Now my side hurts!!!!!! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:rotflmao

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the problem on 1 trailer, or with several different ones?

aaklingler

Reaction score
It does it on 2 trailers, it does do it when you manually pull the controller, I'm gonna start checking grounds and the plug today.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for someone else to have this problem. I hooked my controller to the factory harness and had the same problem. What I did was run a dedicated power wire direct from the battery to the controller. Problem solved. End of story!;Sweet

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for someone else to have this problem. I hooked my controller to the factory harness and had the same problem. What I did was run a dedicated power wire direct from the battery to the controller. Problem solved. End of story!;Sweet

:eek: At least it's fixed!!!!! If the truck has the factory harnesses and such, then it must have power distrubution box (at least my 99 van has one for towing). The OEM supply wire(s) or relay(s) could be the issue..... oh well. Better to by pass. Don't forget to use a circuit breaker, at least 30amp to feed the controller.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: At least it's fixed!!!!! If the truck has the factory harnesses and such, then it must have power distrubution box (at least my 99 van has one for towing). The OEM supply wire(s) or relay(s) could be the issue..... oh well. Better to by pass. Don't forget to use a circuit breaker, at least 30amp to feed the controller.

I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle