EASY fuel tank filler

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my luck, I'll punch a hole in the filler neck...and when I'm at the pump all my fuel will end up on the ground :D

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread with the news of another successful quick-fill up this evening. I have yet to see any ill results, but I would like to see if you guys have similar results to mine ;Sweet

-Dave

zpd307

Reaction score
the mod makes senses, lets the air come out quicker, which would in turn allow fuel to go in quicker.......

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Struggled with the "slow fill problem" for couple years and couple trucks.

Then one day, I found a 97 PSD truck at salvage yard with bed off and noticed the roll over valve was WAYYY different in size. The vent line from that late model rollover valve uses 1/2 inch hose. The tank hole size and rubber grommet is the same as the "old style" on my DD.... I swapped the new style in and ran a 1/2 vent line. Also swapped out the 97 filler necks. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Can pump in fuel at full blast and no puke on ground problems.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Struggled with the "slow fill problem" for couple years and couple trucks.

Then one day, I found a 97 PSD truck at salvage yard with bed off and noticed the roll over valve was WAYYY different in size. The vent line from that late model rollover valve uses 1/2 inch hose. The tank hole size and rubber grommet is the same as the "old style" on my DD.... I swapped the new style in and ran a 1/2 vent line. Also swapped out the 97 filler necks. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Can pump in fuel at full blast and no puke on ground problems.

I hadn't checked the rollover valve on our 1996 PSD, but everything else seems virtually the same...even his slow fill on the rear fuel tank...

Even from the photos I posted, the vent style and design are identical at the filler neck :dunno

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's this Rollover valve you guys talk about?
How 'bout a pic?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have one out where I can take a pic right now, but in the first post on this thread the pic there shows the hole in the tank ahead of the fill port that's being "modified"... that's where the rollover valve plugs in.

The old valve had about a 1/4 inch vent line... the new one [from the 97] is 1/2 inch.... lets the air out..... if the truck is upside down a ball in the valve flips into the vent path and stops fuel from running out..... maybe. Hope to never find out if it works... haha

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Different app but looks the same but may be white in color. It's in a rubber grommet on the top of the tank with a piece of hose attached.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Different app but looks the same but may be white in color. It's in a rubber grommet on the top of the tank with a piece of hose attached.

Isn't that a vent, albeit with a ball-type roll-over valve.

My 94 E350 has two of those on top of the tank, and a similar valve attached to the steel filler tube which is welded onto the tank.

I an disassembling a fuel system and borescoped the filler tube. At the end of the tube is a sombrero-looking cap with a very weak spring keeping it closed. I guess the pressure of the fuel entering the filler tube is enough to open this cap and fill the tank. In a roll-over, I assume the spring and gravity would prevent fuel from escaping. Nice theory, I wonder how it works in reality.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I went to modify my vent like Dave's...however, I would first have to take a grinding tip to the flange above it > because, ain't no way in hell to get at it with a screw driver.