Best Version DT466 for Bombing?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm an IDI guy but I'm looking for a new project.:D I'm planning on repowering a F350 crew cab with a DT466. But, I don't know much about this family of engines. What do you think would be the best version of the DT466 to start with?:dunno I'd like to mod the motor, but not go too crazy.;Sweet ;Really I've heard Hypermax can really make the DT466 a beast, but again, which version. Also, I'm not sure what would be a good transmission (manual) to put behind the 466 in a project like this. Anyway, before I start looking for motors, tranny's, and trucks......I wanted to get an option from you guys.

Thanks a lot,;Sweet
Heath

aaklingler

Reaction score
I don't believe there are that many different versions of the DT466. One out of a bus or medium duty truck in the 70's and 80's with mechanical injection. I don't know if you could get a zf5 bolted up to it and if it would handle the power, probably not if you get to many parts from hypermax, you may have to use a medium duty tranny but that probably will also take some work to get stuffed into your truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, I think it is a given that you dont want a DT466e. Probably any year that parallels our IDI's. I believe 97 is when they went electronic. I know some of the early ones used a different injection pump than the later ones. You'd probably want to avoid a rotary pump if that was what was on them. Allison MD-3060 or MT-643 is the best transmission according to bus fleet owners. I'd think an automatic would be the best bet for your conversion since finding room for the stick that far back may be a problem. I've heard you can make 1500 dyno proven horsepower with a properly modded one, reliably ;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think an automatic would be the best bet for your conversion since finding room for the stick that far back may be a problem.

I think he better take some measurements to see if a DT466 will fit within his skill level of sheetmetal work to the firewall and transmission tunnel.

binderman

Reaction score
If you do this make sure to get one with the roller cam if it is that new then it will probably have the inline pump which is easier to get more fuel out of www.scheiddiesel.com can help you or columbus diesel either one knows all there is to know about these motors

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd vote in favor of building a radiator/intercooler package in the truck bed, and let the engine go as far forward as possible.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do this make sure to get one with the roller cam if it is that new then it will probably have the inline pump which is easier to get more fuel out of www.scheiddiesel.com can help you or columbus diesel either one knows all there is to know about these motors

Thanks for the link. I called Scheid's today and everyone was busy, so I left a voice mail. Hopefully, they'll get back to me soon.

As far as the sheet metal fab, that will not be an issue. It's just a matter of where and how much needs to be moved/modified to get it to fit.;Sweet Just takes a little time and patience.

Mel, That may not be a bad option. I guess I'll have to see how far back into the firewall the motor will go. A good deal of off-road/mudder vehicles run remote cooling systems, so I may need to go that route. I hope not as I like to fill the bed with my dirtbike and other crap a little too often.:D

Sounds good so far..........keep the ideas coming.

Heath

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more suggestions to think about.

May want to investigate the availability of rear sump oil pans & pickup tubes too. Most of your medium duty truck engines are front sump and some are not offered as rear sump at all.

For clearancing the firewall check what kind of room you have under the dash and what might also have to be moved to make a "dog house". PSD engines in the superduties are deep into the firewall, nearly half of the engine" and really are not that bad to work on.

If the build were to go into a doghouse try if possible to make clearance to be able to get the valve cover etc off if needed otherwise you will be lifting the cab to work on the top end which really isn't that bad and is what they have to do on the newer superduties to work on some things already. This is something I,ve seen posted by guys that have done Cummins conversions and then need to go back into the topend to fix something.

You're on the right path of doing your homework first.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I like this kind of thread!
What you're lookin for is just what I've been doing. The best BOMBing 466 is the 93-95(the start of the NGD series), they have almost the same P-pump as the Dodges. They are basically a bigger bore of the 6BT. They(93-95) also had a roller cam, but not sure when that started. Next better ones were the 86-92's, they had a Bosch A-pump, and pretty good BOMBability, but had a real long stroke & smaller bore....less rpm range. Forget about any older, they had the rotary pump, low booost & burn real dirty.
Columbus, Sheids, and Hypermax all make some wild stuff for these. Save money by making your own fuel plate, grind the stock one down to a #0 profile(there's Dodge threads somewhere that show how). Then, use a 3 or 4k gov spring kit, but not sure yet if they share the same valve springs. Top it off with some laser cut delivery valves.
Dont go by the measurements IH gives, they use front pulley to the back of the bellhousing. The bellhousing wont be in your firewall....much. Another note, they have an SAE #2 pattern, and you can use an adapter to an SAE#3 for more choices & smaller flywheels. The 3 is smaller than the 2. They fit in a Super Duty the easiest, and OBS the next easiest. Here's a shot of one going in a 74 F250(I talked him into doing it), and note the new firewall & how deep it's set back:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/558...es/trucks&track_action=/ViewActions/FullAlbum
Then here's mine:
http://community.webshots.com/album/558845243ReTuWq
I've heard on another site, the Eaton RTO6613 shifts real nice & it's not too terribly big.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that is a sweet swap, so what all did these motors com in and what is the going rate for one?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The best price will be from a bus. They also came in regular IH med. duty trucks. A great price is $2500, and most truck wrecking yards sell them for $4k & up. OH, and all hp ratings have the same compression ratio, so no piston swaps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that one has the correct arrangment for the oil pan. Also, your links are not different. :confused:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man o man, thanks for the info!;Sweet:hail That's exactly what I'm looking for. My dad has worked with heavy diesel equipment for 30+ year as a coal miner and he is pretty excited about the idea of putting a 466 in a F350. I'll be on the look out for a '93-'95 motor with a rear pan and sump. Those photos are great, but like Mel said, the links are the same. I'm going to have to print some of those off.

I guess I'll be looking for an Eaton RTO6613 as well!:D The motor is roughly about 1500lbs from what I can find. I may be looking at some 2.5 ton Rockwells for the axles?:dunno :D

Man, I sure would like to see some more photos of those two trucks....Got any others?:love: :love: :love:

Heath

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I fixed the link. As far as I know, most all of those years had rear sump. Weight is closer to 1400 lbs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance