auto hubs?

allczns

Reaction score
I looked at a '94 F350 CC non-turbo this morning and was surprised to see auto hubs on it. They didn't say Ford or any other manufacturer's name just "4X4 Auto Hubs". What are these critters? Did this truck leave the factory with auto or manual hubs?
If I buy it I want to put in manual hubs. I had a bad experience ( $$$ ) once with auto Ford hubs.
thanks,

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Yep, you can convert it to Manual. I heard all you need to do is get the new hubs & tear everything out of the auto hub. I know someone that has done it will chime in shortly.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup my 94 has them, havent gotten around to changing them yet for some real lock ins. it is nice to be able to pull in at any time and not have to get out.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it the Auto-Hubs will eventually give you grief. And yes I've got them too. No problems yet. That said I am not in 4x very often so that's probably why I haven't had any problems with them. I make certain they are well packed with grease to avoid the accumulation of water in there. I've heard somewhere (maybe here) that if water gets in there and cold weather freezes them into the locked position there can be problems.

I would like to know how they fail typically. That is something that's not clear to me.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manual hubs is the only way to fly....find a junker set from the wrecker too so if a good one fails out 4x'ing you can swap a junker on for the time being!

JM2CW

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 4x4 cc IDI has automatic hubs. I plow with this truck and LOVE the auto hubs compared to my previous truck - an 85 F-250 5.8 with manual lockers. I had to replace the manual hubs on the old '85 at 100,000 mi. (probably 30,000 miles in reverse!) Anyway, the manual ones can fail, too.

It's nice not to have to get out of the truck. It doesn't sound like such a big deal, but having had both types, it REALLY makes working easier.

I think my auto hubs are failing, though... Once in a while I hear a pretty nasty clikcety clankety CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK up there and have to put it in 4wd, pull up, pull back, put it back in 2wd and it's been ok. This has happened 5 or 6 times in 2 years. Also, sometimes it feels like it has to "spool up" a bit before the hubs engage - then it kind of bangs up there. I don't like that sound, but I'm just planning on replacing the hubs when I do the rest of the front end next year.

Does any company make really nice HD auto locking hubs for our trucks??

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I just upgraded from Auto to Warn Standard Manual hubs. I cant say why my hubs didnt work other than they didnt. My news hubs work great.

The only issue I ran into was whether or not I needed extra parts. If you have three screws holding the housing in then you need the extra parts. If yours is the 5 screw (like mine was) all you need is the new hubs.

I was sorta worried about it but it was plug and play.....pretty easy. You really only need: plyers (sp?), grease, and #25 torx head....if I remember correctly.....

Good Luck!!!
THad

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
The way I look at it if you really want auto lockers just get a chevy or Dodge. One of the main reasons I love Ford so much is that they are the only one that still has lockouts. Nice to know I can fix the manual ones myself & not break the bank doing it.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep autos are nice when they work and your not stuck but if they get to acting up or you get stuck and need to rock it some to get out the autos suck big time. 3 bolts 5 bolts who knows really but if you have 2 nuts with a lock to keep them in there your fine but if you have a single nut for your bearings then you need the conversion kit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance