'79 300D

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I am looking at a '79 300D Turbo Diesel. It has some rust on it, most of it looks just like normal West Coast life body rust. There is two points that look more important though, just wondering a bit more about it. I have attached a picture of it, with a pink arrow. In that general area, under the view of the camera, there is what looks like a tube coming out of the body. This is on both sides, and I think 2 per side (at least that I can remember seeing)

What is it, and is rust around them OK? There is some major rust on the passanger side front one, most of the body has fallen off around it.

I got to take a look under the hood, and hear it start soon, but the guy only wants $1700 cdn. for it. Looks not bad on the outside.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no pics to see.....
I'd hazard a guess the tubes you're talking about is the drain tubes for the sunroof.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
OK so it acutly helps to attach the pictures....

Attachments

• mb.jpg
    mb.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_2485.jpg
    100_2485.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 5

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude-
that's where you stick the jack in to lift up the car for tire changes.
you're missing quite a bit of structural metal there:eek:
seriously-
you should think of taking a trip down to kali, Dave85 gave away a '79 that ran with no rot whatsoever. I have a pair of 300SD's looking for a new home too.

Last edited:

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
That is what I was worried about, it didn't look just like something stuck there for the fun of it. I will take a solid poke at it and see how far the rust goes.
I know I should get down to kali.... do they both run or? We chatted a while back and you had one with a bad trans. I am just not sure if I want to deal with importing them to canada, customs, etc. I guess it's not that bad to do.
I wonder if I could flat tow/dolly one with the other if I flew down.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Well, after going back and taking a look inside at it, the only thing that I really noticed was the heater didn't work (didn't blow hot air) so that is something to play with... anyway, after poking at it, and talking with the guy... I threw him a low-ball offer and he accepted, so for $700 I got me a new car :) Even if it only lasts 6 months and I feed it some veggie oil or what not, it will be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online