7.3 idi stalling while on load

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok got you now I was a lil confused on the 2 pumps and looked up the wrong part. hope i dont ever have to replace the injection pump cus that would really hurt looking at the price they go for. Well imma get the LIFT PUMP and start with that, thanks to all of ya for the advice!!! I will post back the results

The injection pumps tend to last around 120000 to 150000 miles before they start giving issues. If you ever find yourself needing one, make sure you get one from a reputable source. Some rebuilds only reseal worn out ones while others rebuild them to near new or better than new condition.
Here is a list of reputable suppliers:
Classicdieseldesigns.com
Russrepair.com
Idiperformance.com
conestogadiesel.com
There is a post here also called the wall of shame that has suppliers that would be good to steer away from.
This isn't saying you are having ip issues but it is good knowledge for when you start having issues down the road.

aptosdiesel

Reaction score
I am not sure if what I experienced will help out but let’s see. I had a 1989 idi 7.3 that had a hard time starting. I changed the fuel filter and changed some fuel lines but still had issues. I finally noticed that the fuel pump ($35 from Napa), had a air leak on the outside of the pump. Where it is crimped together. I replaced it and my problem went away. It is easy to get too and cheap to replace. It was bringing air into the system which is not good. Good luck, I hope this helps you or someone else down the line.