4x4 from dead 85 f250 to 84 e350?

anson

Reaction score
so i have this f250 with a water leak into the engine somewhere. could just be a headgasket, but it's bad enough of a leak that it looks like a steam engine when you take the oil filler cap off so it could be heads, too, dunno. it's probably the result of the original owner getting an ATS turbo but not an improved headgasket/bolts.

so, since i got the van, i don't need the truck, and i can't do the engine work/swap myself. i just bought it in june for $2200 and am bummed about losing too much money.

so, what should i do? i was going to get rid of it for ~$700, which is a sad loss of money for someone as poor as me, but the cost of having a shop swap the engine is pretty sad, too. i was wondering if the 4x4 could swap onto the e350? what would you do?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be done, BUT its a big prodject. If you dont have the tools or shop to do an engine swap, then a 4x4 conversion is outta the question.
I would find out whats wrong with the truck and fix it, then sell it.
OR part it out on Ebay.

anson

Reaction score
well suppose i go and change the gasket and heads and then find out there's a crack in the block.. people have told me you can't know for sure if the block is cracked until you pull it out and have it checked.
some people tell me the 6.9s rarely get cracked blocks.
other people say the stock block heater can crack the block.

one shop told me the cost of a swap is ~2k. a used engine is 500-800.
not sure how much a gasket and/or header job might be..

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
sounds to me like you should part it out. you dont want to get knee deep in a project just to find out your **** out of luck! now all you need is a haynes and a wrench!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Warwagon_S did this with his e series. dana 50 ttb front, C6 and transfer case ( i forget which one) from an 86 250 SC into his (ithink) 84 E350. he did some fab work but i think the ttb pretty much bolted in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online