ZF5 vs C6 engine adapter - same?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put the 6.9 (which originally had a C6 behind it) in my 94, I swapped the plate that connects the transmission to the block. Once I got both off (the one off the old 7.3 with ZF5 and the one off the 6.9 with C6), I held them up to each other and am 99% sure that I observed they were exactly the same and that was wasted effort on my part. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I'm trying to figure out my Cummins conversion, as the Cummins powered Ford I have now has a C6 in it, so maybe I can use that adapter to hook my ZF to the Cummins, if I can find a flywheel, clutch, and starter setup that will be compatible.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the engine to trans adapters are all the same for idi. you will need to put down some money for an adapter from cummins to ford diesel trans bolt pattern. unless you find one cheap, you will need to source new from f-c or destroked.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:angel:As posted above they are the same adapter plate. The only diffrance in adapting a C6 to an E4OD is some setups have the older heavy cast iron flywheel pletplate types. When you convert to the stamped steel flexplates that have the starter gear welded on them you will need the special 1 1/4 inch crank spacer. That spacer is no longer available from anyone but Brians Truck Shop.. Or me.. I have two spares....:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:angel:As posted above they are the same adapter plate. The only diffrance in adapting a C6 to an E4OD is some setups have the older heavy cast iron flywheel pletplate types. When you convert to the stamped steel flexplates that have the starter gear welded on them you will need the special 1 1/4 inch crank spacer. That spacer is no longer available from anyone but Brians Truck Shop.. Or me.. I have two spares....:sly

I know where you got one of those spares, hang onto it ,I may need it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok Russ.. Right now I have them on a chain around my neck. I use them as idi bling..:sly:D:angel:

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the engine to trans adapters are all the same for idi. you will need to put down some money for an adapter from cummins to ford diesel trans bolt pattern. unless you find one cheap, you will need to source new from f-c or destroked.

Does anyone know if the a C6 from a 460 will fit an IDI engine to trans adapter? I know the 460 ZF5s are a little different, and requires some grinding but do fit. The 88 came with a 460 so it may be a 460 C6. The C6 is already hooked to the Cummins, so I'm hoping that adapter will be good for my ZF5, before I pull stuff apart and attempt to bolt it together.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the a C6 from a 460 will fit an IDI engine to trans adapter? I know the 460 ZF5s are a little different, and requires some grinding but do fit. The 88 came with a 460 so it may be a 460 C6. The C6 is already hooked to the Cummins, so I'm hoping that adapter will be good for my ZF5, before I pull stuff apart and attempt to bolt it together.

?? I thought the 460 zf's required holes to be drilled where there are none to make them fit the idi adapter plate.

Why do we even have to do this at all? Ford made a special adapter to go from the international bellhousing to what? You would think they would have used the 460 pattern and not have to re-cast the c6 case and have a another zf case cast. But oh no, that's too simple and they had to come up with a completely oddball pattern for these trucks. I sure would like to pick the brain of the Ford engineers when they came up with this one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lower four bolts will line up but is smaller in diameter. the upper two bolts will need material added to it.