zf5 tranny question

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You aren't hearing me, brother.
No such thing as a 2wd trans for the parking brake.

ALL units that have the trans brake utilize the 4x4 model transmission.
You could take a trans from a f-super, remove the brake, and bolt it into a 250/350 with no other modifications.

Can't find the diagrams I had. (Just search zf s5-42 parts diagram)
Here's a pic though.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's with the brake.

Here's with tcase.

Here's 2wd.

Feel me now?

Not many f-super/f450's were actually 4x4.
The one's the were didn't use that trans brake, IIRC.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they make a factory 4x4 F-superduty? I'm pretty they never did and they're all aftermarket. Someone did a number of conversions mainly for utility trucks - can't remember the company name. Good friend of mine has one - they use a closed knuckle D70 front end & divorced NP205 t-case.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Did they make a factory 4x4 F-superduty? I'm pretty they never did and they're all aftermarket. Someone did a number of conversions mainly for utility trucks - can't remember the company name. Good friend of mine has one - they use a closed knuckle D70 front end & divorced NP205 t-case.

Nope. Not that I know off. At least not back then.
You're right on them being conversions.

Not the newer trucks though.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but help me out with something: I understand the parking brake goes on the back of a 4x4 ZF5, so I am assuming that it's the same mount/bolt pattern as the transfer case. Could you put one of these behind a E4OD 4x4 transmission? Were there every any E4OD equipped Super Dutys?

Just wondering, this would be a good option for those folks who might want to do a rear disk brake conversion on an automatic trans equipped truck.

Any thoughts Super Duty Ninja's :D

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 4R100 transmission out of a junk yard once that was in a motorhome. It came with a parking brake and a US Gear external OD or UD (who knows?). Sold the brake on eBay, the OD/UD (?) was full or water so none of the bearings were any good and the transmission had a crack in it so that was a project that was DOA. It was quite a stack - tranny, OD(UD?), the brake.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a 4R100 transmission out of a junk yard once that was in a motorhome. It came with a parking brake and a US Gear external OD or UD (who knows?). Sold the brake on eBay, the OD/UD (?) was full or water so none of the bearings were any good and the transmission had a crack in it so that was a project that was DOA. It was quite a stack - tranny, OD(UD?), the brake.

That would be quite a "stack of pancakes" LOL Not to mention: you've got a Ford transmission, a ZF parking brake, and then a US Gear OD/UD. Good thing it was in a motor home as I don't think all the service manuals would fit in a glove box :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online