ZF5 REVERSE

BlueCrew

Reaction score
How many people have had problems out of there ZF5 putting it in reverse?

I have to put mine in 1st then go to reverse or it will grind when I let out on the clutch in reverse.Sometimes it only goes halfway an pops out when I go to back up When I do get it in reverse it works fine Truck has new master an slave cylinders and clutch disengages good So there is no grind when I put it in reverse Just when I let out on the clutch

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your bushings

Mine did the same thing, but not very often. I did notice that when I changed out the bushings (nylon?) on the pedal assembly, all the gears shifted much better. My only thing that I don't like is that the reverse gear is to high (feels like your are reversing in 2nd gear.

You can get the bushings at the dealership, and they are not expensive.

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
my truck does the same thing almost every time i use reverse. it can take a few mins to get into reverse some tome. i know my pedal assembly is completely worn out, but i took the pedal off and put it back on higher for more throw. it helped a little bit but not much, i still think some thing is wrong inside the tranny.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard the two most common failures in the zf are a cracked bellhousing and reverse gear wearing and popping out.

I find mine doesn't do it if I put it in reverse, but still hold pressure on the shifter while I slowly let out on the clutch. 50% of the time as the clutch starts engaging, the lever will move into reverse a little bit more.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my old 7.3 does the same thing, i havent drove that truck in almost a year, i need to get it back to running rather than just let the weeds kill such a fine truck

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
mine dont do that but i have to let the clutch out a little to get it to go in all the way.

killer931

Reaction score
my truck does the same thing although it didnt start till i put a new slave cylinder. i think mine is just not bled out all the way. could be wrong though

BlueCrew

Reaction score
Before I tear into anything major how hard are the bushing to but in?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure having to put the trans in a forward gear before trying to stick it in reverse is a standard practice. :dunno This goes pretty much for any manual trans I've ever owned. You need a gear with syncromesh to stop the clutch disk from spinning.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some easy some hard

Before I tear into anything major how hard are the bushing to but in?

It has been a long time since I replaced some of the bushing, but 1st I removed to replaced the metal arm that moves the rod to engage the master cyl, because the metal pin was to worn were the little bushing goes. If I remember correctly, with that removed you can replace the larger bushing which are on the right side of the pedal bracket. There is also a why to replace the rod that engages the master cyl ( my other 94 has this mod and it shifts better) with a adjustable rod and joint. You will need an impact gun to replace the metal arm because there are no splines on the new arm, you make them as you install it, so get it lined up good.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What about your fluid? if its too thick then it might pop out. I know when its cold outside and the fluid is thick ill put it in reverse and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ itll pop out. BTW the fluid is Merc/Dex Universal ATF. (not Mercon V or Dextron VI or whatever they are)

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my F450 / ZF5. The clutch is good, pedal is good, linkage is good, trans fluid is good. The trans goes into reverse but doesn't "lock into gear" as it should so it pops out and grinds cause it's "not quite in gear" riding on the tips of the teeth kinda sound.

Total mileage on the truck/trans is now at 208,000 and I'm not the first owner, so don't know what the last guys did. I know several times on downshift from 5th to 4th I've missed 4th and snagged reverse contact with a SKRUNCHHHHHH kinda noise...[ouchhhh!] so my thought is that the reverse fork is not right, or the lead in on the reverse teeth are chipped so it doesn't "engage"...

Shifting the ZF5 is like rowing a boat anyway... anyone know if there is a bushing that can be replaced to make the shifter more precise in selection of the desireable shift fork?

How about an overhaul manual for the ZF5? Anyone ever seen a manual anywhere?.... I would like to own one.

I now own 5 trucks all with ZF5's and they are all about the same kinda "tired".

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find !!! :hail

You win the man of the hour award for posting this.

A short review of the procedures reveals there is a 5th/reverse interlock that is "supposed" to keep the trans from shifting from 5th directly into reverse.... oops... mine does that... bet that is a problem that needs fixed.

Also lists all the special tools [if I win the lottery :rotflmao]
Looks like I'm going to have to "invent" some to do an overhaul. But a picture is worth a thousand words.