ZF5 Reverse Question

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother just picked up a 94 F250 and its having an issue going into reverse, where it will grind and be hard to get into gear. The PO had done a conversion from an E4OD with new clutch and single mass flywheel. Where should I start looking, I'm not too familiar with these transmissions

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
My brother just picked up a 94 F250 and its having an issue going into reverse, where it will grind and be hard to get into gear. The PO had done a conversion from an E4OD with new clutch and single mass flywheel. Where should I start looking, I'm not too familiar with these transmissions

Before you put it in reverse, put it in second, then real quick put it in reverse, clicks right in, no grind. Go ahead, ask me why I know this..LOL

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very common problem with the zf. Another way to do it, is keep pressure on the shifter handle as you ease the clutch out. When you do this, sometimes the shifter will move a little further and when it does this, you have avoided a gear grinding episode.

The next thing you will notice is reverse is very fast, really too fast for anything except a empty truck. If you have 4x4, you will find yourself using low range when backing loaded trailers.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
X2 on the 2nd gear, then Reverse trick.....ask me how I know..... LOL

377k miles on a ZF, grinding reverse for many many years, you learn lots of little tricks :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If bobbing between gears won't do the trick, check clutch adjustment. since a smf was put in, spacers may have been left out, too many put in, or simply the brand of clutch being used may not want to play nice, so an adjustable clutch rod may be needed. Clutch should begin to release about an inch from the top, and should begin to grab about an inch off the floor. If not falling about in that range, then go to Napa and blow about13 bucks on an adjustable clutch rod

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
The second gear trick and the letting out the clutch a little bit trick have always worked for me. If one don't then try the other!

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the going into second things seems to be working, but there also seems to be too much play in the clutch, so an adjustable clutch rod is gonna be installed

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my F450/ZF 5 . Found there is a reverse lockout tab that keeps you from catching reverse instead of 4th. Also found that that tab gets damaged or slips out of position when the top cover is pulled and that the spring that holds the tab gets out of position or simply falls into the trans. Result in any case is it's hard to "find reverse" since the shifter doesn't locate it's self properly.

This might be your case. Check clutch release function and all the other things suggested as well.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check under the dash on the condition of your clutch rod where it attaches to the peddle.
IF that pin is worn, your clutch peddle movement isn't pumping enough hydraulic fluid when you push it, so clutch won't release properly. There is "some adjustment" at that rod, but the pin doesn't get lubed and there is a plastic bushing that "goes away" which loses clutch travel. Check that.