zf5 rattle vibration

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a smf and new clutch swap to my f250 and now theres a loud rattle and vibration coming from tranny. its loud and is extremely annoying cant talk to someone while its doing this without yelling it vibrates hard enough my door mirriors vibrate like i got a couple 12s in it or something. it usually does it from 1700 to 2100 rpm. if i press the clutch in to coast its still vibrates but if i back of the clutch just before it catches it stops if i completely let out it starts again if theres no load on it it will do it pullin hills it wont if coastin down a hill withe clutch out itll do it. tightined all cross members and bolts n didnt help ne at all n u joints are good n is not coming from engine at all. i notice when takin of from stand still it pops and cracks a few times ne idea on what this could be because at 50 mph to 65mph i cant hear myself think its horrible

DragRag

Reaction score
Was the clutch disc sprung. I hope it was, if you do a smf job it needs to be sprung. If you are using a stock disc it is not sprung most likely. If it is sprung, and making noise still, try using 30wt non detergent motor oil. If that doesn't quiet it down try gear oil in it. It will be a little hard to shift when cold with heavier oil though.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was a bolt in kit i bought for it does that matter for the disc being sprung??

DragRag

Reaction score
Did you see the springs on the disc? maybe you got one without springs on it. Could you access the same kit to make sure it came with a sprung disc? If you don't have a sprung disc, it is always going to vibrate and rattle. I would start by find out if this is the case or not, then go from there, yes it is important.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get just got a new symptom lost gear like clutch disengaged but had a loud sound like like it wasnt in gear grind or like a zipping sound like from a sleeping bag when zippin it up but was loud as hell idk whats goin on with this thing there cant be more than 5000 miles on setup after it did that in 4th n 5th just held clutch in and left out of gear and coasted a spell i put back in 5th and it was fine and had the same rattle n vibration went through all gears fine

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Did your trans sound good and shift fine before the smf? Which brand of kit did you use? There are several smf conversions and most are different.... Some are known to be louder than others...

I thought my DMF was bad (lots of rattling noise) so I went with a South Bend SMF conversion and the noise became unbearable! It was the most god awful thing I had ever heard in a running truck and I was worried about getting home without blowing the trans into pieces--seriously :eek:-cuss

Switching to 40wt oil helped, but ultimately it took 40w oil AND a good set of matched injectors to make it quiet. I still know its there, but it is nowhere near as bad as before. Good luck.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought the truck with the clutch out of it already so when i bought it i took it home pulled trans and put in a perfection smf conversion kit specificly for the truck it came with flywheel clutch disc shorter bolts and throw out bearing like i said it grabs good just noisey as hell n the event that happened this morning it never did that before but it seems to be only 5th gear that it makes such a horrible rattle and vibration im thinking if itll hold out when i get to the manual trans part of class im gonna rebuild it n see what happens ive had several for manuals and the only through of a vibration when they were loadin up like when in 5th climbin a hill at low rpm

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have engine problems. Like one of the other posters said, he put a new set of injectors in and it quieted his down. That's because anything going on with the engine will be amplified by the tranny now that you have a SMF.

Most people complain about the noise at idle. Your problem seems worse since you are complaining about it at speed. You will get a noise from this setup "normally" at idle, and when you lug the engine in gear around 1000 rpm or so.

You might want to compare how your engine runs to another one of the same type. If it's running really rough at higher rpms, your tranny will complain loudly.

Last edited:

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sure it doesnt have to do with engine performance because when i press clutch in it continues the noise and if i rev engine with clutch in theres no difference

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Still havn't told us if the clutch disc was sprung or not. You would have noticed when you put the thing in. the center hub of the disc would have had either 4 or 9 springs laid out in a circle ( or two circles )depending on the diameter of the disc if sprung, and if unsprung the thing would have just had the center mounting hub with a solid disc going out to the friction surface. it would be pretty easy to remember.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry guys been busy lol yea its sprung and it hasent did ne thing wierd since that incident still vibrates like hell been busy putn 4l60e in my chevron to park the ford til i can get it done ne other ideas??