Zf5 questions and other tranny possibilities?

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frozen.. I have a ranger gear splitter as well.. they are awesome..I pulled it out in favor of a 5-speed behind a 4bt but I amam somewh limited on driveline length.. and with my divorced transfer case, that nine inches was killing me. Previous owners scooted engine forward.. would get hung up on wet grass. It just move the weight too far forward

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frozen.. I have a ranger gear splitter as well.. they are awesome..I pulled it out in favor of a 5-speed behind a 4bt but I amam somewh limited on driveline length.. and with my divorced transfer case, that nine inches was killing me. Previous owners scooted engine forward.. would get hung up on wet grass. It just move the weight too far forward

If you want to part with it let me know

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. I will be in my shop tomorrow, will drag it out of its nest snap couple pics.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you don't have the space, that 7 inches or so that it pushes the trans back can be problematic. My '85 is a 2WD crew cab long box, so there is lots of room under the truck, but the stock 4 spd shifter now prevents me from sliding the seat all the way forward. Not a big deal as I have long legs, but it makes it hard for the wife to drive the truck as she can't push the clutch all the way in. Some day I will pull the shifter out and bend the rod a bit (or make a new one) to fix the seat interference issue

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just start in 2nd gear like the rest of us... :D and if you swap out for 3.08 airplane gears I call dibs on your 3.55's!

I was wondering if everyone else starts out in 2nd.

I have 4.10’s and start in 2nd unless I’m on a hill or pulling a load.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have to start out in first from a stop because I have 35 inch tires with the 4.10's. When these wear out I want to go to a reasonable sized tire and then maybe I can start out in 2nd, and not have to downshift on hills so much out of 5th.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah man thats across the board as far as i have ever known for granny gear tranny. 2nd gear is 1st gear when not towing. If i use my 1st gear its for crawling.
I can put my truck in 1st gear let out on the clutch and get out and walk with the truck. Its perfect for loading hay bails so iv been told im not in that line of work.
Its also good for people to learn how to drive a standard trans foe the first time also.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Loaded or empty, granny 1st or not, I start in first. I may not go very fast in it, but I will get rolling in first before shifting. Of course with the 3.55 gears that have been in my four speed trucks, first gear isn't quite as slow as with 4.10's.