ZF5 Question -Related to Brown trucks ZF5 Swap-

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay guys,
I have a serious decision to make.
But first I feel I must tell you the story so you understand all aspects of the situation.

Okay.
As some of you know, my dad and I picked up the entire running gear out of a stripped 94 F250 about a year ago. I got the TTB front axle, the ZF5spd with the BW1356 (I believe) transfer case, and both drive shafts. My dad got the rear axle as he needed one. I cant remember EXACTLY what I paid for my part of the deal, but I know i DO NOT have more than $500 in it for everything I got (ZF5, TTB axle, and all).

Well after having that rear end my dad got out of the deal fail because of dirt inside the axle housing, Im nervous about installing my ZF5 without having it torn down and checked out. There's only one shop in this area that will even touch a ZF5, atleast without sending it off and having it completely rebuilt.
I called the shop today and he said he couldnt give me a quote without tearing into it first, but said if all I had to have done was it torn down and all new syncros put in I would be looking at about $750-$850.

So, here's the question for you guys.
Based on my situation what would you guys do? Take the inspection plate off, look for signs of excessive wear (or dirt), and run it if its looks okay? Have it torn down at this shop, inspected, and replace all syncros? Or buy a reman trans from a company online and have a warranty on the whole tranny? Considering remans cost about $2000.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
For the time it takes to install one just through it in and try it...I'm going to do this with my spare ZF this month just to see what condition it's in. 2hr R&R I figure.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have nothing to loose by taking off the inspection cover to see what might be in there. It won't tell you all that much, but it won't cost you a dime either.

Since this isn't an auto, there are a lot of exposed moving parts that can be visible without tearing the whole thing down. Look for anything that might be a problem like fluid containation, metallic sludge that covers steel parts and any parts that show signs of cracks, chips or scratches.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That is a really good question. I didnt get to see the odometer of the truck, that was already gone. It was a farm truck its whole life. The body didnt look bad, neither did the engine (it was already sold though). Everything I got out of it looked brand new. Super clean with very few signs of abuse. But that rear took me for a surprise. I wasnt expecting that at all.
I'd say they had the breather on the rear cut off and exposed to atmosphere, and that atmosphere being running down gravel roads its whole life.

I know tranny work isnt that big of a deal, but I've pulled and installed the tranny/transfer case literally 12 times in the last year, 3 of those times completely by myself. Im just a little sick and tired of pulling trannys in these things, lol. I just dont know if Im $850+ sick and tired of it yet.

My biggest issue is it seems like every time we installed the tranny in my moms truck, the one that had it pulled 12 times, somehow the pilot bearing would fail within 500 miles. And by the chirping coming from that truck right now, I'd say it happened again.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about upgrading to a kevlar pilot bushing such as the one from South Bend Clutch? A ZF is expensive to open up so I'd vote for just using it unless you see something scary on inspecting the fluid and gears, whatever you can see.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pull the cover and look inside, then drain the fluid. That will tell you everything you need to know up front. Wont cost you anything either.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the cover and look inside, then drain the fluid. That will tell you everything you need to know up front. Wont cost you anything either.

X2 - that's what I did, and with mine being 4x4 with an old school Banks (turbo up-pipe right against the back of the bellhousing) mine was a LOT more than a 2 hour job to install.

If you pull the cover and drain the fluid and find nothing scary, there's no reason not to...