zf5 2wd to 4wd

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost all the part to do my 4wd swap. My question is-- Can a tcase be mounted to a 2wd zf5. Can i just change the tailshaft housing. I dont want to get a used zf5 cuz i just had mine fully rebuilt about 5k miles ago. So i really want to reuse that tranny if possible. Is it doable.

Also, willl any tcase work or is there a diesel specific. I can find plenty of tcases in gas f150-f350s but very few diesels.

Thanks in advance.
Will

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i don't beleive so, is it possible to fit a divorced transfercase?? :confused: in my scout i'm using a divorced NP205 with a 2WD t-19.

-Jon

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost all the part to do my 4wd swap. My question is-- Can a tcase be mounted to a 2wd zf5. Can i just change the tailshaft housing. I dont want to get a used zf5 cuz i just had mine fully rebuilt about 5k miles ago. So i really want to reuse that tranny if possible. Is it doable.
Nope. When you pull off the rear case, you have to pull the entire guts out of the tranny with it. Then you have to swap output shafts out of one gearset and into the other. Basically dis-assemble and re-assemble the entire innards of the transmission.

Also, willl any tcase work or is there a diesel specific. I can find plenty of tcases in gas f150-f350s but very few diesels.

Thanks in advance.
Will
Yup, the t-cases are all the same from everything I've read...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transfer cases are all the same. Im running one from a automatic 1991 f150 on mine. Ya just have to be sure that you get one with the slip yoke or the fized yoke depending on what your looking for.

If youre looking for a 4x4 zf, they are pretty prevelant down here in Florida, and can usually be had for less then 300 bucks.

I think you should just go with the divorced tcase

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The transfer cases are all the same. Im running one from a automatic 1991 f150 on mine. Ya just have to be sure that you get one with the slip yoke or the fized yoke depending on what your looking for.

If youre looking for a 4x4 zf, they are pretty prevelant down here in Florida, and can usually be had for less then 300 bucks.

I think you should just go with the divorced tcase

any idea if the ZF and auto are the same length? like if a auto was swapped for a stick would i need new shafts? :dunno

-Jon

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of a guy with a 2WD IDI (David 85) who has a transfer case for the extra low -end pull. He has an E40D. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with your ZF5. You might need to adjust your driveshaft length.
On another note, I know of someone doing an automatic to ZF5 4WD conversion, and they need different length driveshafts front and rear.

my .25

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of a guy with a 2WD IDI (David 85) who has a transfer case for the extra low -end pull. He has an E40D. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with your ZF5. You might need to adjust your driveshaft length.

So he put the e405 tcase to a 2wd tranny?

I have 3 divorced np205s but theyre all passy side drop from old ih trucks. That would make the swap more complicated than i want. What years did ford put divorced tcases in trucks? And what models.

Will

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood the original post. I think the tailhousing or output shaft may be different (but I don't know for sure) on a ZF5. I know they are on an e40D for 2 or 4WD applications..

tractorman86

Reaction score
the back half of the case is completely different as said but a divorced 205 would be great, you can find them in 3/4-1tons i think 73-79 i could be wrong, but i know a 75 hiboy 250 had one.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Are the gas and dieasel back halves the same? I think the last year for the divorsed case was about 77. E4OD and ZF5 are different lengths.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online