ZF Parking brake

Postmark

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the ZF parking brakes used on the F450s? I suspect mine may be causing a death wobble, going to rule out any suspension issues first.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the ZF parking brakes used on the F450s? I suspect mine may be causing a death wobble, going to rule out any suspension issues first.
if you ZF parking brake is causing deathwobble, you have some serious chassis issues at hand.
don't get me wrong, the ZF parking brake sucks at many levels. deathwobble is very unlikely.

Postmark

Reaction score
Ok, have to dig through the suspension I guess. It starts around 35-40 mph, about shakes the truck apart,

Postmark

Reaction score
It's hard to tell, it's so bad, but I would say more the truck shaking than the steering wheel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can pretty much guarantee that parking brake is not your problem.

I had a customer bring in a truck that had been driven down the road with that brake on, the brake itself had grenaded and the back of the trans was cracked in multiple places, but it still didnt have a deathwobble like you are speaking of.

Postmark

Reaction score
I thought I felt a little play in the brake when I was checking u-joints, thought I'd ask.

Postmark

Reaction score
I replaced the track bar bushings and that helped, it's still wobbling occasionally though. I think it may have trashed the steering gear, as it now leaks like a sieve.

Postmark

Reaction score
Barely any slack in the steering. I replaced the track bar bushings and the stabilizer, all of which were toast. It's now drive-able. I think it still has a little vibration at about 40 mph, maybe I'm imagining it. Either way, going to replace tie rods, drag link, steering gear and the kingpins to be safe. Had this wobble hit while loaded on the interstate, I don't know if I could have rode it out.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isn't Death Wobbel frm Track Bar not being in plane (@ a different angle) than OEM design w/the other (is it drag link?)...
Now U did the bushings, check the angle between the two.

Could I have it confused w/'bump steer'?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online