ZF Fluid ?

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best fluid to use? I finally was able to get my fill plug loose. I pulled it out and lost at least 1-1 1/2 qts. Is it ok to over fill it by that much? Or just fill it to the plug hole? It doesnt look like ATF in it either. Trans shifts perfect and is quiet, Just want to keep it that way.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ATF is proper fluid. Most of us overfill to cut down on rollover noise after a smf swap.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the best fluid to use? I finally was able to get my fill plug loose. I pulled it out and lost at least 1-1 1/2 qts. Is it ok to over fill it by that much? Or just fill it to the plug hole? It doesnt look like ATF in it either. Trans shifts perfect and is quiet, Just want to keep it that way.

IMHO,

If the unit is shifting fine and NOT showing signs or sounds of wear, DO NOT OVERFILL, these transmissions to the best of my inspections and knowledge DO NOT have a vent tube. Over filling can cause seals to blow due to pressure increases in the case when it warms up.

JM2CW

If anyone knows where the damn VENT tube is OR where one can be added safely LET ME KNOW I don't like my transmission sealed like this just for this reason!

Al

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has a vent looking thing right on top of the trans, just I front of the shifter. At least, I think that is what it is.

I used royal purple ATF in mine, 4 quarts to be exact. Poured it in through the shifter too, it just seemed easier that way.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Yes the vent is in front of the shifter housing between the 3-4 and 5-R shift rail detent spring plugs.

You must be registered for see images attach

kawamatt

Reaction score
You can see the vent hole here, right in front of where the shifter housing bolts on. I am fairly certain it is tapped 1/8" pipe.

You can see the other end of this hole here right between where the two shift rails ride.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least on the s47 it's 1/8 NPT. Course, that's only going to help if your shift boot is completely intact. Both of mine are ripped so moving the vent really doesn't help much.

Course, if you're in water up to the top of the trans I hope the axles and t-case vents are also figured out and nothing else leaks.......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shifter boot at the top of the trans is not watertight. hell, most of them by this age have desintergrated.
if I'm in water that deep with the truck, that's too deep. I don't care how heavy a truck is, if you are catching a cross-current in a creek that deep, you're getting swept away. BTDT.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see the vent hole here, right in front of where the shifter housing bolts on. I am fairly certain it is tapped 1/8" pipe.

You can see the other end of this hole here right between where the two shift rails ride.
nice pic of a ZF6. how many gears did it lunch?

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we are on the subject... I just dumped what looked like 80/90 out of my transmission and replaced it with castrol transmax mercon V. Doesnt seem like there is any difference in shifting, I plan to use this fluid as a "flush" before I change it out for some good stuff. Not sure what that will be yet, still reading opinions. The transmission shifts ok with alittle catch going into 2nd and third here and there. My main concern is that it whines pretty good when under load. Off the pedal and it doesnt make noise, put load on and it screams like it has two teaspoons of fluid. I also just changed out the transfercase fluid for transmax without any observed changes.